+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stella marie View Post
    Great topic! I've had some crackers from both my mother and MIL, much along the same lines as those already mentioned, like honey or jam on dummies, starting solids at 8 weeks, sleeping babies on their tummies to get the wind out... I could go on and on.

Slightly off the track but just MIL having to have a say on our business, when we told her DH was getting a vasectomy as we are done now after 3 kids, she was completely against the idea - she said to him in front of me "Do you think you should be doing that - what if things change with your life down the track ...not all marriages work out..."poor DH, he just looked at his mum and asked her what she was getting at, so I replied that she was suggesting that he and I may not stay together, to which MIL replied "No, its not just that, you could die... you never know what's around the corner and maybe you shouldn't make a decision that is so permanent" !!! classic. I should add that we have been together for ten years and happily married for 7, and that I thought MIL and I get along quite well when she isn't offering bad advice!
    No she didnt! re: the vasectomy comment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    Haha I said this to my MIL and she got into a real huff! Then said 'well I think the old ways are better'.
    You need to use my come back line "but in your day they used to build houses with asbestos, and look how that turned out". If you say it sickly sweet with a smile on your face they really dont know if you are being nasty or not.

Or you could snap it at her and walk off and she would know you think she is a moron.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Annoying MIL

DP's aunt told me that when my newborn wakes up to feed during the night I shouldn't feed him, because he only wants attention, I should give him a dummy instead. Apparently she did this and her children slept through the night from birth. Right....I'm surprised her kids aren't dead actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    DP's aunt told me that when my newborn wakes up to feed during the night I shouldn't feed him, because he only wants attention, I should give him a dummy instead. Apparently she did this and her children slept through the night from birth. Right....I'm surprised her kids aren't dead actually.
    A woman I used to work with told me that her brother in law told his wife that she was to shut the door and not get up to the baby during the night at all because he was just being naughty and wanting attention. He was a newborn! From the time he came home from hospital this is what they did. I was horrified.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    A woman I used to work with told me that her brother in law told his wife that she was to shut the door and not get up to the baby during the night at all because he was just being naughty and wanting attention. He was a newborn! From the time he came home from hospital this is what they did. I was horrified.
    Ohhh I'm beyond horrified! Poor little mite, imagine the feelings of abandonment - nevermind the hunger pains. Crying is their only form of communication. Imagine your calls never being answered. :sad:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Annoying MIL

The worst for me is when Mil tells me it doesn't matter what kids eat, be it chocolate and chips for breakfast, as long as they eat it's fine. No, it'd really not!! Treats are fine, sure, but they need a healthy diet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    I shouldn't laugh, but.....
    I did when she said it until it sunk in she wasnt joking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithUnagi View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if this would work if I used a really powerful, bright lamp instead... At least DS won't get sunburnt?

Lol, don't worry, only joking!

My IL told me to take DS to the hospital when he was a couple of weeks old as "there HAS to be something wrong with him why he's waking up every 2-3 hours. My son slept through as soon as I brought him home".

Nothing is wrong with him! He's a breastfed newborn, that's all!

They also gave me crap for putting on 15kg during my pregnancy, when they only put on 4.5kg during theirs. When MIL saw me she was so disappointed (I went from 55kg to 70kg, 11 days overdue).
    As far as I know, 10kg weight gain is the minimum. 15kg is normal. Your MIL should be happy..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    10kg isn't a minimum... but the weight you gain though really does depend on your starting weight.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Annoying MIL

My MIL drives me crazy but I am quite good at avioding her however I think my mum is worse. She is so set in her ways. DS has had a rough time with reflux i the beginning and we both got no sleep and I had no idea what was wrong. My mother kept trying to tell me and the world I had PND and said some babies just cry and my brother was like that so she always had him on the boob. Thank god i got that all under control. Her latest is that I am now too over protective. Today DS felt as if he had a temp so I went and bought a themometer to check. Mum said that was being too over protective. She drives me insane at times.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub