+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Annoying MIL

Also when DS was small had horrible wind and reflux and she often suggested to mix brandy into his bottles o.0 I just laughed when she said this... But she said it so often I know she was serious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    My MIL loves to give advice but since I kept ignoring it she seems to have quietened down thank goodness.

My faves were:

-I needed to start giving DS water when he was not even 2 weeks old (even though he was breast fed and breast milk is mostly water)
    -why hadn't I started solids yet? (DS was not even 3 months old at the time)
    -I should be giving bottles of formula to DS to get him used to it (even though he was breast fed and we were having no problems with breast feeding)
    Actually the bottles idea isn't bad advice. Maybe ebm not formula. That's often advice given by CHN in case you get sick for whatever reason and can't breast feed. When DD1 was 1 week old I developed pneumonia and couldn't breast feed for 36 hours due to drugs in my system so thank god she would take a bottle or it would have been hell.

With DS our paed had him on solids at 3 months.

Older relatives are like baby books - take the advice that works for you and ignore the rest. We've had virtually no family around since having kids and I would happily trade a bit of unwanted advice from time to time to have grandparents actively involved in my kids' lives.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Annoying MIL

You know how to really annoy an old interferer like a MIL, mum, or random old lady at the shops? Smile sweetly and say 'oh really? That must be outdated advice, my paed/MCHN told me the way I'm doing it is correct'

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    I got told by someone that to get my DD to have naps, I should face her pram into the sun so she can't open her eyes, then she will fall asleep.
    Oh. My. God.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Annoying MIL

My mil would never give advice as she is useless, plus she lives on other side of world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The advice wasn't given to me, but someone I know what told to put a cot outside for the baby to sleep in at night on their veranda as the cold air was good to get them to sleep. It was...bizarre advice to put it mildly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    I got told by someone that to get my DD to have naps, I should face her pram into the sun so she can't open her eyes, then she will fall asleep.
    Omg! Was she serious?

My MIL is awesome thank goodness!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    You know how to really annoy an old interferer like a MIL, mum, or random old lady at the shops? Smile sweetly and say 'oh really? That must be outdated advice, my paed/MCHN told me the way I'm doing it is correct'

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Haha I said this to my MIL and she got into a real huff! Then said 'well I think the old ways are better'.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Actually the bottles idea isn't bad advice. Maybe ebm not formula. That's often advice given by CHN in case you get sick for whatever reason and can't breast feed. When DD1 was 1 week old I developed pneumonia and couldn't breast feed for 36 hours due to drugs in my system so thank god she would take a bottle or it would have been hell.

With DS our paed had him on solids at 3 months.

Older relatives are like baby books - take the advice that works for you and ignore the rest. We've had virtually no family around since having kids and I would happily trade a bit of unwanted advice from time to time to have grandparents actively involved in my kids' lives.
    The problem is MIL is not actively involved and is lucky to see DS once a month for maybe an hour tops. I don't mind listening to other peoples advice but when they don't know my child or circumstances it's redundant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    The problem is MIL is not actively involved and is lucky to see DS once a month for maybe an hour tops. I don't mind listening to other peoples advice but when they don't know my child or circumstances it's redundant!
    That's fair enough. I do think sometimes (for me anyway) I find I switch off when an older person gives me advice yet if I think about it it could actually be good advice - sometimes the delivery or the person delivering it takes away from the actual message if that makes any sense? I never gave DD2 bottles and I really wish I had once a week as she almost gnawed one of my nipples off once she had teeth and I couldn't do anything about it as she refused bottles.