+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Week 5: Detoxification & "Clean eating"

"Detox" had become a bit of a buzz word in the weight loss industry of late. It seems that people all over the place are using a "detox" to lose weight fast. This is not my aim.
    One of the medical issues that i have that contributes to my weight (both how easily i put it on and how hard it is to get it off) is Fatty Liver Syndrome.
    Essentially, my liver does not process fats correctly. Instead of filtering fat out of my blood ****** and into my waste disposal system (lol) it traps it in my body, leading to storage issues.
    So a low-fat diet would make sense. However, the other side to the the issue is that the liver is also responsible for filtering out the toxins in our body... caffeine, alcohol, artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, sweeteners, etc.
    So whilst i would ideally be following a low-fat diet i also need to avoid all the artificial, highly-processed garbage that is so often found in "diet" foods.
    Hence my decision to make the switch to a "clean eating" lifestyle.

Since the beginning of this challenge i have been trying to eat as much natural, un-processed food as possible and although i have noticed a difference, my digestive system still feels a bit sluggish. So after chatting with some of my nutrition-expert friends and doing some research i have decided to do a gentle 7-day "detox" or cleanse in the hope of boosting my digestive abilities. So basically, i want to give my liver a 7-day holiday

So for the last 2 days (and for the next 5) i have cut out all dairy except for 1/2cup organic, natural yoghurt per day. I have completely cut out caffeine, alcohol, sugar, wheat and red meat.
    I start each day with half a lemon squeezed into warm water and my meals are mainly made up of vegetables, fruit, fish, oats and brown rice. I have also included some raw nuts (cashews or almonds) and some seeds (pumpkin, pine, sesame and poppy) for a bit of "crunch" to my green leafy veggies or to dress up some steamed veggies.
    I am trying to drink at least 3.5litres of water a day (either plain water or as a green or herbal tea) and i am trying to "get sweaty" for at least 45mins every day to help eliminate the toxins that way as well.

It sounds full-on and today i was definitely fighting the coffee-demons but i figure it is only 7 days and hopefully i will feel so much better at the end of it.

I would love to hear if others have had success with "detoxing" and would still love to hear from others following a "clean eating" lifestyle. I had no idea it was such a popular way to live until i started researching recipes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Sounds like a good plan. Fatty livers are a right royal pain in the bum aren't they. I hope liver enjoys it's holiday and become more soft and ply-able for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

When I got my Thermomix, it made such a difference to the way we eat. It amazes me how many additives are in the foods we buy at the shops! Once I stopped making things like lasagna and risotto in it, that helped, too!

Good on you for doing a detox, I might look into doing one as well. I feel like my system is running much better now but it could probably do with a cleanse.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah several friends have a Thermomix and they look amazing but our budget is so tight that to date we haven't been able to afford one. Top of my priority list though!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know it is not quite a thermomix but I also saw a new thing called the Jamie Oliver Home Cooker. It has the blades and the mixing thing in the bowl on the base unit, but then it has a couple of steamers baskets that go over the top under the one lid, but it has a seperate section that is a chopping tower that cuts your veges to add as you want them. It looks pretty good, and is about $560.