+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is the smallest dog that you can get in Australia ....

I have a tiny Pomeranian!!! She is 2.5 kg and has the attitude of a German Shepard!
    She is only ankle deep in water.... Literally
    Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goanaspaner For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (24-11-2012),Funchu  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJunior View Post
    Our English Bulldog (far from a small dog lol) has severe luxating patellas in both hind legs. He has just had his third surgery and it looks like if we are lucky this might be the last one. We are currently undergoing physio which will hopefully get him to walk on his leg again as he currently holds it up and refuses to put weight on it. With and purebred dog, please ensure that whatever you do, you have pet insurance. Barney's first surgery alone cost almost $6k and was luckily covered in full by insurance (less a small excess).

Barney came from a very well known Breeder that has won many awards for the health and standard of her dogs. We do believe that she knew of his problems at the very start but failed to tell us the extent of them. As Barney was already 4 months old when we bought him, we believe that she was waiting to see how bad he is before getting rid of him. Some of his siblings are currently on her website winning many dog shows and it looks like she has continued breeding with the same parents. This makes me sad because this means that among future litters of good, healthy, strong dogs, there may be another one like Barney who is constantly in pain and facing a life of surgery after surgery, and that's if he is lucky enough I have owners who will dedicate their time and $$ to him. : (

Moral of the story is for goodness sake, please be careful where your dog comes from. Do lots of research on the breed and ask a lot of questions.
    Bulldogs, poor bulldogs They are a mess and wont be corrected ever I dont think we have taken a dog and made it smaller and more compact to the point they can even deliver puppies naturally. I love bulldogs but will never buy another one because they are a cruel thing to make IMO. See they are a product of breeding for size, they wanted the original bulldog that was actually quite athletic and designed to catch and hold bulls into what is now the cutest squishy faced dog but IMO what we have done to the breed is wrong but it continued because people like them but the dogs are suffering. The original bulldog was long legged, only had a slight under bite, and had a longer back. There is no way that todays bulldogs could work a cow, most of them need to be in temperature controlled environments shouldn't be walked on hot days and cant be shipped in hot weather when other dogs can.

I am so glad your pup found you guys who love him.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep, poor Barney gets so hot in temperatures over 20 degrees. He also needed surgery on his elongated palate to allow him to breathe better. : (

His brother Oscar however, go came from a lesser known but clearly more honest breeder is the healthiest dog I have ever met!

Here are the two of them several months back.
    Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BBJunior For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    A lot of purebred dogs are prone to serious health problems not just tiny dogs,

O.p a lot of smaller breeds suit indoor life well with the right training and temperament.

I personally want an Alaskan klee kai, the smallest.of.the breed is the toy and they reach 33 cm tall and 4.1 kilos
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Kirby! We have our beautiful princess AKK arriving on Monday!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Please dont support people who breed dogs for size. Small dogs can have so many health probs and breeding away from the standard set forth by the registries is a bad idea. The tiny chihuahuas can have such health probs all because people breed them to fill a fad so there is no health considerations. If you are going to buy a dog go for a small breed and make sure the breeder has done the proper health checks on the parents it will save you a lot of vet bills and heartache down the line. Mainly make sure they have their hearts checked for murmurs and patellas checked to make sure they dont have luxating patellas that is where the knee cap kinda slides out of place and the dog will kinda hop with a straight leg until it pops back in.

I know everyone does what they want but I hope I can at least get you to think before buying a "teacup" anything there is no registry that registers these as they aren't real and just a play on genetics that only harms the dogs and the families that love them.
    For the first time ever, I 100% agree with LMF.
    Don't buy a dog just because it's 'the smallest you've ever seen'. It's likely to be plagued with health problems.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (24-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What is the smallest dog that you can get in Australia ....

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsicle View Post
    Kirby! We have our beautiful princess AKK arriving on Monday!!!!!
    Where did you get her? I want one

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    For the first time ever, I 100% agree with LMF.
    Don't buy a dog just because it's 'the smallest you've ever seen'. It's likely to be plagued with health problems.
    My little lad sure is plagued with health problems He is a Chihuahua cross Maltese and weighs about 2 kilos. We've spent heaps of money trying to figure out why he vomits all the time, but no one knows why and nothing has helped his condition. Its sad and frustrating, we didn't buy him for his size (and I don't believe he was bred to be a "teacup" anything, it was an accidental mating) but it has impacted his life and health. People breeding to size make me feel ill, I wish they would breed for health instead, toy breeds are so tiny anyway, do they really need to be smaller?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJunior View Post
    Yep, poor Barney gets so hot in temperatures over 20 degrees. He also needed surgery on his elongated palate to allow him to breathe better. : (

His brother Oscar however, go came from a lesser known but clearly more honest breeder is the healthiest dog I have ever met!

Here are the two of them several months back.
    Oh, your babies are so beautiful. I so want a BBD but living in Qld I'm not sure it is a good idea because of overheating/breathing issues.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Please dont support people who breed dogs for size. Small dogs can have so many health probs and breeding away from the standard set forth by the registries is a bad idea. The tiny chihuahuas can have such health probs all because people breed them to fill a fad so there is no health considerations. If you are going to buy a dog go for a small breed and make sure the breeder has done the proper health checks on the parents it will save you a lot of vet bills and heartache down the line. Mainly make sure they have their hearts checked for murmurs and patellas checked to make sure they dont have luxating patellas that is where the knee cap kinda slides out of place and the dog will kinda hop with a straight leg until it pops back in.

I know everyone does what they want but I hope I can at least get you to think before buying a "teacup" anything there is no registry that registers these as they aren't real and just a play on genetics that only harms the dogs and the families that love them.
    I will just add, in defence of my comment. That I do not promote, nor support people who breed for size, designer dogs, byb etc. I was simply stating that you can get teeny dogs.

Personally I would choose a breed of dog based on their genetic history, registered with dogs nsw and from a reputable breeder, temperament and after extensive research.

I have owned Cavalier's for 15 years, and shown them for a decade.

There are many good breeds of smaller dogs. I have a soft spot for Pomeranians and Pugs. However I'll always be a Cav girl, but they are a bit larger then would be counted as tiny.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (25-11-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    A I personally want an Alaskan klee kai, the smallest.of.the breed is the toy and they reach 33 cm tall and 4.1 kilos
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    I am going to google them! I've not heard of them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

FruitBowl  (24-11-2012)