+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is the smallest dog that you can get in Australia ....

Yes chihuahuas are tiny, my parents chihuahua is teeny tiny I don't know about the smallest, but other small breeds I've seen are Maltese and Yorkshire dogs. Miniature pinchers are pretty little too. I want a small dog to add to my two massive boxers but the council here only allows 2 dogs per property

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    My friend has a Prague Ratter, but they aren't sold here in Australia, you have to import them.

They are the smallest breed in the world and my friends one is the sweetest dog I've ever met.
    Actually, they are available in Australia but i think there's only one breeder - i've seen them for sale

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

All these breeds are listed on pups 4 sale.com.au

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Technically pp are right there is no specific breed of a tea cup chihuahua. BUT they can be 'bred' for size and they are definitely not always out if proportion hence my beloved Ruby weighing in at just 900g!
    Attachment 28119
    This exactly. They can be bred to a smaller size.

There are a a lot that are in proportion yes. Cute dog! I know of one specifically bred smaller that fits on your hand. She's 6-7 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loumia View Post
    Actually, they are available in Australia but i think there's only one breeder - i've seen them for sale
    Oh awesome! Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please dont support people who breed dogs for size. Small dogs can have so many health probs and breeding away from the standard set forth by the registries is a bad idea. The tiny chihuahuas can have such health probs all because people breed them to fill a fad so there is no health considerations. If you are going to buy a dog go for a small breed and make sure the breeder has done the proper health checks on the parents it will save you a lot of vet bills and heartache down the line. Mainly make sure they have their hearts checked for murmurs and patellas checked to make sure they dont have luxating patellas that is where the knee cap kinda slides out of place and the dog will kinda hop with a straight leg until it pops back in.

I know everyone does what they want but I hope I can at least get you to think before buying a "teacup" anything there is no registry that registers these as they aren't real and just a play on genetics that only harms the dogs and the families that love them.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (24-11-2012),Amiedoll  (24-11-2012),halloweendee  (24-11-2012),icugal  (26-11-2012),IndigoJ  (24-11-2012),loislane2010  (24-11-2012),meljemillie  (27-11-2012),mousky  (24-11-2012),Tainted  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What is the smallest dog that you can get in Australia ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Please dont support people who breed dogs for size. Small dogs can have so many health probs and breeding away from the standard set forth by the registries is a bad idea. The tiny chihuahuas can have such health probs all because people breed them to fill a fad so there is no health considerations. If you are going to buy a dog go for a small breed and make sure the breeder has done the proper health checks on the parents it will save you a lot of vet bills and heartache down the line. Mainly make sure they have their hearts checked for murmurs and patellas checked to make sure they dont have luxating patellas that is where the knee cap kinda slides out of place and the dog will kinda hop with a straight leg until it pops back in.

I know everyone does what they want but I hope I can at least get you to think before buying a "teacup" anything there is no registry that registers these as they aren't real and just a play on genetics that only harms the dogs and the families that love them.
    A lot of purebred dogs are prone to serious health problems not just tiny dogs,

O.p a lot of smaller breeds suit indoor life well with the right training and temperament.

I personally want an Alaskan klee kai, the smallest.of.the breed is the toy and they reach 33 cm tall and 4.1 kilos
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post

Agreed if you all google more ini it you will find she is very right. You can get small dogs without getting toy size. A lot of yet breeds already mentioned

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

mousky  (24-11-2012),SassyMummy  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Our English Bulldog (far from a small dog lol) has severe luxating patellas in both hind legs. He has just had his third surgery and it looks like if we are lucky this might be the last one. We are currently undergoing physio which will hopefully get him to walk on his leg again as he currently holds it up and refuses to put weight on it. With and purebred dog, please ensure that whatever you do, you have pet insurance. Barney's first surgery alone cost almost $6k and was luckily covered in full by insurance (less a small excess).

Barney came from a very well known Breeder that has won many awards for the health and standard of her dogs. We do believe that she knew of his problems at the very start but failed to tell us the extent of them. As Barney was already 4 months old when we bought him, we believe that she was waiting to see how bad he is before getting rid of him. Some of his siblings are currently on her website winning many dog shows and it looks like she has continued breeding with the same parents. This makes me sad because this means that among future litters of good, healthy, strong dogs, there may be another one like Barney who is constantly in pain and facing a life of surgery after surgery, and that's if he is lucky enough I have owners who will dedicate their time and $$ to him. : (

Moral of the story is for goodness sake, please be careful where your dog comes from. Do lots of research on the breed and ask a lot of questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    A lot of purebred dogs are prone to serious health problems not just tiny dogs,

O.p a lot of smaller breeds suit indoor life well with the right training and temperament.

I personally want an Alaskan klee kai, the smallest.of.the breed is the toy and they reach 33 cm tall and 4.1 kilos
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Yes I know this but specifically breeding for size adds to those complications. A lot of complications can be avoided by going to a good breeder who has the parents tested for these problems and then only breed dogs without the problems. Breeding is more complicated than sticking two dogs together to have babies. Its better to buy from a breeder that breeds because they love the breed rather than to make money. Everyone is free to do as they wish but it will save money in the long run in vet bills if you go to a good breeder and IMO any breeder who breeds for size, or color isnt a good breeder.

I will add as a disclaimer that I use to breed American Pit bull Terriers so I am a bit biased I was also so dedicated to breeding healthy dogs that any dog that didnt pass all the tests didnt get bred and I tested for a lot more than most pit bull breeders. Everyone I knew did hips and thats it but I did Hips, elbows ( thru OFA), Von Willebrand Disease, heart defects, Thyroid, Eyes( thru CERF). So I am prob biased in my opinion but really these are living animals, that should not be subjected to a live of pain so we can make a buck.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-11-2012),mousky  (24-11-2012)