+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default confused - newcaslte private/public?

hi there

I had bub 1 last year in december at the John Hunter. I was being cared for my the midwives, but then closer to the end of my pregnancy, moved to the care of one of the OB's as bub was measuring small, and they had to induce me. So, whilst being induced, there the cord prolapsed and I was rushed in for an emergency ceasar. bub was in NICU for a couple of weeks, but all was well in the end.

however, it was hard being in the ward of the hospital without bub and eventually when she was moved to the ward, I found it difficult....lets just say we had feeding issues lol

ANYWAY.

for reasons listed above, hub, bub and I upgraded our PHI to top cover, so 'next time' we could go private. well, ah-hm, next time has arrived! Im 6 1/2 weeks pregnant, due in July 13.

I know that every pregnancy can be different, so things might not go the same as last time, but the issue we had with bub 1 being small was not resolved, so it could go the same again. I found it hard going into the hospital to the clinic and seeing a different midwife/dr each time and having to fill them in on the whole story each time......not to mention the amount of time I had to have off work, as my 10am appt, turned into a 12noon appt etc etc.

so, I have called some OB's and have booked in with Denise Nesbitt at Newcaslte private, after ringing around heaps of others who are already booked. I felt happy about it, especially when they said that they have a 'nursery' up there at the private, in case there are any issues.

so, how come I feel so uneasy? I received such good care at JHH (and it was christmas/new year) and felt so, 'safe' there.... I knew bub was being looked after too, the NICU staff were amazing to say the least.

can I book a private OB who delivers at JHH and then get a private room? is that a possibility? or transfer to the private hospital after delivery? (which is going to be another ceasar)?

thanks so much for your help - sorry for the long rambling post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default confused - newcaslte private/public?

I can't answer your questions however I have decided to go to Newcastle Private. I prefer having my own OB and the comfort of a private room. I feel that if required for any emergency John Hunter is literally next door and easily transferable.

I'm also due in July 13.

You just need to make the decision that is going to make you feel the most comfortable. I wish you all the best 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: confused - newcaslte private/public?

I am going to Newcastle private for my bub who is due January 10. After touring and doing ante natal classes at the private hospital and comparing that to visits and things and experiences friends and family have had at the public hospitals I am super comfortable in my decision.
    They have a special care level 2 nursery at Newcastle private which is one level down from nicu. If you deliver before 34 Weeks it needs to be at jhh anyway. And John hunter is ridiculously close if you need it.
    Going to jhh as a private patient you will almost certainly not get a private room.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by srekca View Post
    hi there

I had bub 1 last year in december at the John Hunter. I was being cared for my the midwives, but then closer to the end of my pregnancy, moved to the care of one of the OB's as bub was measuring small, and they had to induce me. So, whilst being induced, there the cord prolapsed and I was rushed in for an emergency ceasar. bub was in NICU for a couple of weeks, but all was well in the end.

however, it was hard being in the ward of the hospital without bub and eventually when she was moved to the ward, I found it difficult....lets just say we had feeding issues lol

ANYWAY.

for reasons listed above, hub, bub and I upgraded our PHI to top cover, so 'next time' we could go private. well, ah-hm, next time has arrived! Im 6 1/2 weeks pregnant, due in July 13.

I know that every pregnancy can be different, so things might not go the same as last time, but the issue we had with bub 1 being small was not resolved, so it could go the same again. I found it hard going into the hospital to the clinic and seeing a different midwife/dr each time and having to fill them in on the whole story each time......not to mention the amount of time I had to have off work, as my 10am appt, turned into a 12noon appt etc etc.

so, I have called some OB's and have booked in with Denise Nesbitt at Newcaslte private, after ringing around heaps of others who are already booked. I felt happy about it, especially when they said that they have a 'nursery' up there at the private, in case there are any issues.

so, how come I feel so uneasy? I received such good care at JHH (and it was christmas/new year) and felt so, 'safe' there.... I knew bub was being looked after too, the NICU staff were amazing to say the least.

can I book a private OB who delivers at JHH and then get a private room? is that a possibility? or transfer to the private hospital after delivery? (which is going to be another ceasar)?

thanks so much for your help - sorry for the long rambling post!
    You can use a private OB and go to the JHH. You need to ensure that the OB will delivery at the JHH. I would ring and check with your OB first. If your OB does deliver at the JHH then you need to book into the hospital and tell them you want to be a private patient which should give you your own room. I don't think you can deliver at the JHH and be transferred to NP. If there are any issues with bub and you deliver at NP they will transfer the bub to the NICU at JHH as NP only has a Special Care Nursery. Hope that helps.