+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default 16-year-old house guest on holiday... how can I stop her from getting bored?

DD's 16-year-old cousin wants to come and visit for a holiday. She's right on the other side of hte country... we're in Qld (she's the ex's niece and I first met her when she was 8... so she's not just a random to me).

ANYWAY... I love her and I want her to come and stay... but I can't help but think she's going to be bored out of her mind!

I'm trying to organise it so she's here for school holidays, and that way if I haven't scored a job yet I'll be here and so will DD... but even so, I won't be loaded with cash so we can do fabulous fun stuff and while she's working and saving money, it's not going to be bucketloads.

Obviously will do the theme park stuff... but beyond that? What the hell can I do with me, a 26-year-old, a 16-year-old and a 7-year-old? I can put up with being bored... but I want the 16-year-old to enjoy her visit and I want DD to enjoy having her cousin around too. She's fabulous with small kids so she'll be fine with DD... but hmmmm

Any ideas that won't cost me a fortune?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 16-year-old house guest on holiday... how can I stop her from getting bored?

Depends where in QLD you are but the Gold Coast is great for a day out go to the beach for the day, shopping (even if its just window shopping) the arcade, mini golf or bowling all in one place. O'reilleys is one of our favourites, we buy a bag of sunflower seeds and head up there for the day, the birds perch themselves on your arms, shoulders or head pretty much anywhere they can, there's great rainforest walks and plenty to do up there even a water fall you can swim at if your game (it's usually pretty cold). South bank is another good one catch the train in there's the museum and art gallery plus the beach and markets and you can walk across the bridge into the city. We don't have a lot of cash spare after all of our bills so we try to make the most of any free entertainment available and they are all great experiences for anyone not from brissy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: 16-year-old house guest on holiday... how can I stop her from getting bored?

I know some 16 yr olds where all they want is to lie on the beach so if you are near one that could be an idea.

I don't think you should have to plan outings every day though. She can spend time with her cousin, play board games, watch movies etc.

Shopping, even just window shopping could be fun. Or take her on a tour. If she's from the other side of the country she might like to see all the things you might think are boring.

If all else fails, ask her what she wants to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I agree with tadpoles. Just ask what she wants to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wouldn't most 16 year olds just shrug and day dunno? I know i used to!!!!

Go to movies
    Beach
    Theme parks
    Zoo
    Shopping centres
    Out for lunch/ dinner
    National parks
    Markets - mount tambourine?
    Helping at home- cooking etc
    Cheap manicure- thinking of something girly

She might just be happy to chill at home texting and facebooking.

Dunno (ha, at 27 I still do it!) I just send my neices and nephews out on the farm with DH

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 16-year-old house guest on holiday... how can I stop her from getting bored?

Apart from what has already been said when my 16 year old sister (and 13 year old) visit me we go shopping get manis or pedis, i let them cook - cakes, biscuits etc. just chill - sleep in/ watch tv etc.
    Stay up late watching movies with popcorn and lollies
    As long as they have internet they are right lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (24-11-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She will probably come armed with a phone for her amusement for some of the time.

Rent some DVD's
    Go to the pool for a swim
    Hit the shops
    See a movie
    Take her in to the city/obligatory southbank visit
    Head to some markets
    Beach
    If she is a reader, go to the library
    Check out the Brisbane City Council website for some ideas on activities over the holidays. Most will be too young for her but you might find something.
    Fish and chips up at Redcliffe, ice cream out on the pier.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is this her first visit to Qld? If so, she'll be so thrilled she's actually in Qld, that anything you do will probably be great.

I have step children who are a fair bit older than my kids and found that it was the idea that they were doing something different (eg when we were living in Darwin and they came over to visit from WA) that they were just happy to have a trip with some different sights to see.

Don't worry about going over the top, she'll probably be happy to have a couple of planned visits, but will also probably be a bit unsure about things to suggest to you for fear of suggesting things of too much cost.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Are you near Gold Coast? I love Infinity in surfers paradise, I'm pretty sure a 16 year old would find it amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Are you near Gold Coast? I love Infinity in surfers paradise, I'm pretty sure a 16 year old would find it amazing!
    I went there at 18 and loved it. Haha

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub