+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Regret over Pet surrender - help and advice appreciated

I agree pets are for life but in saying that EVERYONE makes mistakes / bad judgements etc and I'd rather someone surrender their pet and ensure it goes to a good home than to keep it, be stressed and then possibly not be able to look after it properly.

OP, you're not the first and won't be the last person this has happened to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm looking after a friends dog at the moment, and the first 2 days were pretty full on. The kids were also obsessed with him, wouldn't leave him alone, he hadnt learnt any rules of the house, etc. and as a sole parent doing Everything around the house plus trying to look after 2 kids, dog & cat it did my head in a bit. But it only took a week or so for the kids to get over the obsession, for us to all settle in well (cat included!) Now 4 weeks later I feel I could easily have him permanently he goes back home tomorrow though I think I'll miss him a bit!
    So yep I think you should give it another go if possible. It just takes time to adjust and 2 days isn't really enough.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Issey  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Temet Nosce. I needed some kind words. It is good to know about the kids. I didn't deal with it well, but it doesn't mean I didn't want the dog at all. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent $200 to have him for a weekend. I feel I am equiped better now with how to talk to my son about rules etc. It wasn't the dog but my son that freaked me out. Believe me I feel awful about the whole thing. So thank you for understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    i hope the dog finds a good, stable loving home.
    When i have meltdowns i dont surrender my pets. I think you need to sort out your issues. A pet is for life.
    Well I am glad you are the perfect pet owner but not everyone is so perfect mistakes are made and she has already dealt with the issues it sounds like and the rescue did a diservice by her by not talking to her part of running a rescue is making sure dogs dont need rescue when you can

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Issey  (29-11-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Well I am glad you are the perfect pet owner but not everyone is so perfect mistakes are made and she has already dealt with the issues it sounds like and the rescue did a diservice by her by not talking to her part of running a rescue is making sure dogs dont need rescue when you can
    I agree

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have finally made the decision to request the dog back. To have him forever. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your responses, the supportive ones have helped me as there was more to it, it wasn't about the dog being wrong it was me and my state of mind at the end of a 3.5yr relationship which brought me to the point of a meltdown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well done. I hope it all goes well from here. We recently got 2 puppies one from a shelter and the other from a breeder and it is so full on. I've had many days when I've silently questioned my sanity. It takes ages for dogs to settle and for kids to stop being so obsessed with them. My 3 year old still sleeps with the little jack Russell every night. She lies beside her during the day. Her world revolves around her when she's home.

Give yourself time to let the dog settle in and expect there will be days when you feel like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck if you ever need any help send me a message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

P
    h

Thanks
    Reviews

Go for it! You will get a 2 week trial when you bring him home so hopefully he settles in well and you enjoy your addition to your little family. xx