+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well the USA ain't free from animal cruelty!
    Oh I never said that. I just think its sad that some people are not getting help they could be and should be is all. I am sure some rescues do try to help owners but IMO they all should be.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Issey  (23-11-2012),mrswhitehouse  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From the little I know about animal rescue organisations, they are stretched to the limit as it is. I can't imagine they have the time, staff or money to mentor people in situation where they are thinking of rehoming a pet. Their limited resources probably have to be focused on accepting the pet and trying to find it a new home.

OP I hope you can find a solution you're happy with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if I had been given some coping strategies instead of them saying yeah we will take the dog tomorrow.... I could have persevered and we could have got through it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Regret over Pet surrender - help and advice appreciated

Personally would say leave the dog where it is and let it be re-homed. Your son has accepted that the lady wanted it back and he is ok with that. It would be even more stressful to get the dog back again and find that it is still too difficult and have to send it back again.

If I was in the same position, I would give it some more time and get settled after the relationship/de-cluttering, etc then sit down and chat with your ds about getting a dog. That way you can work out then best dog to get for your situation.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (24-11-2012),Roopee  (29-11-2012),WineTime  (23-11-2012),~ElectricPink~  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    From the little I know about animal rescue organisations, they are stretched to the limit as it is. I can't imagine they have the time, staff or money to mentor people in situation where they are thinking of rehoming a pet. Their limited resources probably have to be focused on accepting the pet and trying to find it a new home.

OP I hope you can find a solution you're happy with
    I understand that I do but it only takes a few moments to talk to someone and let them know a few things. I know shelters are very busy, I ran a rescue and would have up to 25 dogs at my house I know how busy I was just one person but I never turned down people who needed help of course I didnt have hours per say if people needed to talk I would call them after dinner when kids were in bed, dogs were fed and excersized so that gave me a bit more time then the rescue or shelters that have hours. I am not bashing these org just saddened by it is all.

Gives me an idea though, I always could volunteer to do this for these shelters, talk to people evaluate dogs etc a way I can help dogs since I am no longer in the position to actively rescue them although its a goal I have for the near future.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (24-11-2012),Issey  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Gives me an idea though, I always could volunteer to do this for these shelters, talk to people evaluate dogs etc a way I can help dogs since I am no longer in the position to actively rescue them although its a goal I have for the near future.
    Yes that is all I needed was some reassurance and guidance.

Maybe it is best to move on from it, although I am really dwelling on it, even though I only had the dog for 48hrs. So from that you can see it was probably a transition melt down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Issey View Post
    Yes that is all I needed was some reassurance and guidance.

Maybe it is best to move on from it, although I am really dwelling on it, even though I only had the dog for 48hrs. So from that you can see it was probably a transition melt down

Oh yes, 48 hours is a short time. It takes about 2 weeks for a dog to settle into its home, and a few weeks for kids to learn how to act around them. Dogs need time to adjust as do kids. The choice is yours but if every you get another dog and need help please dont hesitate to PM me and I will help as much as I can.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Issey  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am still thinking about re-adopting the little dog. I talked to my GP and she thinks I would be able to cope now. I keep looking at his picture everyday. Just want to do the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Regret over Pet surrender - help and advice appreciated

I wouldn't unless I knew the dog wasn't going to be adopted and they were going to euthanized it.

Dogs are HARD work. If you couldn't cop after 48 hours I think I'd just let it get re-homed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i hope the dog finds a good, stable loving home.
    When i have meltdowns i dont surrender my pets. I think you need to sort out your issues. A pet is for life.