+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7 months old rocking to sleep... will she learn

I'm starting to worry I've turned DD into a difficult settler... It's a non issue ATM but I wonder if she'll learn to settle herself to sleep? Or will I be rocking and singing a two year old to sleep? She doesn't take long to get to sleep but I either rock her or I have to lay down with her, she's still little and I actually enjoy those moments. My concern is will she learn herself to go to sleep without mummy rocking? At what age should I be concern if she doesn't? She's also in a super clingy phase ATM and she won't let me out of her sight so maybe I'm just overthinking this...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 7 months old rocking to sleep... will she learn

i'd say relax and go with the flow what ever works and feels good for u and dd. i dont know many grown ups that still require rocking so i think it will come naturally. my dd is 18 months and she is just starting to fall asleep without me in the room.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD used to need to be fed to sleep for night time and bounced/rocked/sling for day. By about 6 months she could be rocked to sleep at night and I did worry at times but she wasn't a heavy baby so it wasn't too big a concern for me. She could always resettle in the middle of the night by herself. Plus we travelled with her so I loved the fact that I could get to to go to sleep anywhere.

When she was about 1 she started being a pain when I'd rock her, squirming and biting my arm, so one night I just said "that's it, you've got to be old enough to self settle" and just put her in her cot. She grizzled for a few minutes and then lay down to sleep. Next night 1-2 minutes grizzling. Night after no grizzles and happily settled down. I was astounded it was that easy.

Of course not every bub is the same, but I would just enjoy the cuddles now (at nearly 5 5 DD now tells me "ok mum you can go now" once I've read her book if she's really tired and I get no cuddle!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it works for you then why change it!? I'm unsure how old most babies 'grow out of it' and learn to self settle, but I'd say if you have a good nap and bed time routine, your bub will start to associate the routine with going to sleep and just know it's time to sleep and do it on her own. Our nap routine is nappy change, into sleeping bag, bottle then into her cot. Night time is dinner, bath, into pjs and sleeping bag, bottle then bed.

You never know she may be ready now. Maybe just once a week for a day nap, do your nap routine, put her down and leave the room and see what she does . If she cries and you know she is really upset and still needs you, then she's not ready to do it on her own just yet and you can go back in and do what you usually do. Then try again in a weeks time, then a week after that and so on, just testing the waters to see if it works. You might be surprised, she may be ready now.

If it does begin to be a problem for you, then you could start some form of sleep training that you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 7 months old rocking to sleep... will she learn

Have you ever met an 18.year old that needs to be rocked to sleep? My 15 month old is still rocked to sleep and if she still needs it at two, I'll keep doing it. Yes it's harder for me, but it's better for her. Just enjoy your baby :-) There are no rules :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sit with my 3yr old (beside his bed) until he falls asleep each night. Too me that's similar to 'rocking' a baby to sleep. He just needs his mamma.
    I remember a time around 7m ds1 needed rocking, I can't remember what age it ended.
    With ds2 he also went through it from around 4m-7/8m. Now at 9m we just place him in the cot with the dummy. He does cry out now and then and we just give him gentle pats and the dummy if it gets lost.
    Go with the flow enjoy those gorgeous cuddles!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone! I feel a lot better now about what I'm doing, I just second guess myself all the time but I really do like to go with the flow.
    :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-11-2012)