+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default DD vomits when she gets upset - anyone else experienced this?

My DD (nearly 2) has a post nasal drip so she has quite a nasty cough at times. The problem is that if she gets really upset she starts to cough a lot and she ends up vomiting. I'm a bit over it now, has anyone else experienced this? (By the way, the GP said it was fine/normal but he's not the one cleaning up the vomit!)

Yesterday it happened just after lunch (mean Mummy wouldn't let her play with the blinds) so she vomited up her entire lunch. She was this close > < to vomiting just now as I picked her up and took her out of the kitchen away from some spilled food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Actually, me... I have a post nasal drip, and also a very active gag reflex, and when I get very upset I vomit. Of course it doesn't happen often now (after 3 miscarriages this year it's been a bit more common than usual).
    I have always done it, since I was very young.

My daughter started doing it for a short while before she was 1, but she was actually sticking her fingers in her throat when he was crying. It looked very much like she was doing it on purpose. It didn't last long for her.

Sorry, I don't have any advice at all. I imagine she will slowly grow out of it, and as they get older they have fewer tantrums, and gain some reason.

It's really frustrating for me, and I can make it to the toilet. It must drive you nuts.

Could you buy some 'chuckies' and have them in random drawers around the house? It obviously doesn't stop the vomiting, but it will make cleanup easier for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: DD vomits when she gets upset - anyone else experienced this?

I have the same issue, post nasal drop, even brushing my teeth can make me vomit sometimes, winter colds are the worst. I found calming down and long drink of water can reset my stomach from food coming up to drink going down.
    I know that this may not help a child in a tantrum. But you will get to know the signs and early distraction can help.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Good thinking re chuckies. I've already got a decent stash of those thanks to 4 bouts of gastro she had in the space of about 10 weeks, 2 of which she was in hospital, one by ambulance and ended up on a drip. I'm really over DD's vomit!

As a side issue to this we often have to give in to her demands otherwise it will end in vomit and she is very stubborn and very bossy!

Thanks
    Reviews

My son doesn't have a post nasal drip but he is known to vomit when he gets upset, he will go from being fine to screaming in less than 20secs which causes a coughing fit that will often end in vomit so I definitely feel your pain I am so over it I know he doesn't do it on purpose but I get so angry when it happens (never at him just at the fact I have to clean vomit up yet again ) tantrums are the worst for starting it so we often have to just give in and let him have it to avoid the inevitable vomit if he gets to worked up he has a very sensitive gag reflex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS2 used to do this alllllllll the time. Would drive me insane as he would end up throwing up an entire meal...and then be hungry as he had nothing in just stomach. For DS2 it would be when he was upset but also when he was laughing too much. He could even throw up just from coughing too hard.

It probably started around 2ish and has stopped at about 4 1/2 yo. There was nothing I could do to stop it but I wouldnt give in to him but just move to a spot that was easy to clean and try to get him to calm down. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt...depeneded on how upset he was and if I got to him in time.

He actually worked out that he could vomit easily so if there was something he didnt want to do he would start to cough and sure enough....vomit.

So no advice....he did grow out of it tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, if my daughter gets really upset she sometimes will start coughing and end up vomiting. My husband has a really sensitive gag reflex too (every time he brushes his teeth he retches, it's kind of gross lol) so maybe it's hereditary. It sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: DD vomits when she gets upset - anyone else experienced this?

According to my MIL my DH used to vomit at the drop of a hat if he didn't want to do something. She said the worst times were when she was going out for a night but DH wanted her to stay home, so he'd vomit on her shoes before she could get out the door... Little ****. God help me if our kids turn out like that

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Meatpopsicle my DH has a very sensitive gag reflex too brushing his teeth is the number one trigger for dry retching maybe it is hereditary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

One of my DD's vomits at the drop of a hat. Seriously does my head in. She can't put anything in the bin without gagging- even if the bin is EMPTY!!!
    She picks up every tummy bug going around and last year spent 3 days and nights in hospital when she had gastro.
    I have a huge phobia of vomit- I'm sure she's determined to get me over it!