+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Fetal movement and hiccups

Hi

Anyone worried about baby hiccuping too much in the womb?? I'm 28 weeks and I felt bub hiccuping 3-4 times a day. I know this is normal as bub is swallowing amniotic fluid and practising breathing for after birth. However is it anything to be of concern when the hiccups go beyond 20 times in 5-10mins? I get uncomfortable with such movements and tend to move around to stop it. I've read online that if hiccups go longer than 15-30 mins that it's time to call the dr as it may be a sign of cord compression. Any views or experience?

Also, how do you judge whether baby's movements is normal or not? Any ways of tracking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fetal movement and hiccups

My DS (6) had crazy hiccups in utero. It was really scary how much I happened. I also read that it can be a sign of cord compression but when I rang the midwives all three on duty at the time assured me that it was nothing to worry about. If you are concerned. A quick call to 13health or your local gp wouldn't hurt to ease your mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm 39 weeks and bub gets hiccups all the time. I've had tons of scans too related to growth and her heart (nothing to do with hiccups) and they always tell me the hiccups are a good sign that breathing/diaphragm is working well. There's never been anything suggested about problems with the cord. Baby gets hiccups daily for at least ten minutes!!
    If you're worried let your dr know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am 18 weeks so haven't felt the hiccups yet, what do they feel like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Really the same as if u had the hiccups. Just more isolated to your tummy/womb. I found it a bit tickely too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before she was born DD3 used to get the hiccups lots too - I never had it with the other 2. It would happen at least once a day for more than 10 minutes, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

Even after she was born she would get the hiccups a lot, after most feeds she would hiccup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! That's really assuring even though I'm still paranoid and counting each time she starts hiccupping. Left me awake whole night last night.

minipolly: hiccups feel diff to the occasionally kicks and turns. It's more of a rhythmic knocking at your belly. I read kicks are more random and can be everywhere whereas hiccups are constant at the same spot spaced within few seconds and lasting for a while. It took me a while to differentiate as well. It will be more obvious as you get bigger.