+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to do to stop ds rolling in cot

Ds in winter sleeps in a really wooly sleeping bag and he sleep so well in it! Has a hood and sleeves. I bought a summer bag from best and less and he just rolls around in it and cries. So i have put him back in his winter one and i turn the air con on. I cant keep doing that..

Went to shop and saw the safe t wrap but at 100 dollars its too much and i think ds would hate being strapped to the bed!!

What have you done to stop rolling? I think thru wedges he would just pull out with his hands.. He is 8 months..
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS started rolling in his cot at about 5 months. I took a cot sheet, folded it several times lengthways and tucked it across DS' chest and tummy. I think I did this for two weeks and he got used to falling asleep on his back. I weaned him off it and he was fine.

He now roll straight onto his tummy (and has done for quite a while) and will only fall asleep like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS first started rolling we used a sheet over him and tucked it in really tightly at the sides so it held him down. We stopped once he was comfortable rolling both ways and wanted to find his own comfy sleeping position.

At 8 months I think he just needs a few days to get used to the new sleeping bag and would then be ok. He may just need a bit of extra help to get to sleep to start with while he gets used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can't stop them from rolling. He will adjust to the new sleeping bag.

You also shouldn't use the hood on the other one, you should keep their head exposed while sleeping as it's the main way they keep their temp regulated by losing heat from their head. If you cover their head they can overheat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    You can't stop them from rolling. He will adjust to the new sleeping bag.

You also shouldn't use the hood on the other one, you should keep their head exposed while sleeping as it's the main way they keep their temp regulated by losing heat from their head. If you cover their head they can overheat.
    This. If he is able to roll from front to back and back to front he will be ok, we actually did use the safe t sleep but from a lot earlier by 8/9 months he could get out of it anyway. Deffinatly don't use the hooded one again - it's more of a SIDS risk than him rolling.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What to do to stop ds rolling in cot

Thanks guys i will do the sheet thing and see how he goes. He doesn't roll back to his back he just gets on his knees then cries.

That sux about the hood thing.. Cuz he seems to turn his head into it and nod off like its snuggling him. Will try the sheet tucked tight and see how we go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What to do to stop ds rolling in cot

Id say just let him roll. If he's already in a sleeping bag and obviously capable of rolling, leave him to it

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What to do to stop ds rolling in cot

I would let him roll if he was happy to. He rolls then cries cuz he doesn't like being on his tummy to sleep is why its a dilemma

Thanks
    Reviews
    He'll get used to it. When DS started doing this about a month ago, we didn't do anything different other than roll him over and pop his dummy back in. It took almost a week for him to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Let him roll. The SIDS recommendation is to place them in the cot on their back, not to strap them down with anything (blankets/etc) to keep them on their back. And definitely don't use hoods or hats in bed as that will overheat bubs.

My dd has been rolling since 3 months and is a huge wriggler in her cot. She has moved all over the cot from a very early age. As long as I put her down on her back that was the main thing. It's when you place a non-mobile baby without good head strength on their tummy and they can't roll or move their head that it's a real issue.