+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Got into nursing now undecided

I got into nursing for 2013, but now I can't defer it til 2014... I'm undecided what to do.

My options are struggle next year hope I can recover fast after bubs is born & return ASAP.

Reapply the year after and HOPE I get in again. I can't defer because this was an internal transfer I'm so depressed about this! It seems like another year waisted but I will have my beautiful baby too. :'(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Anyone at all studying with newborns?!

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I started studying nursing when my youngest was only 10 months old. It was honestly really really hard and the work load is massive. Is doing it part time an option for the first two years? Then you only add a year to the degree length and you won't be away from baby too much

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a nurse and I studied full time at uni, but I didn't have children then. To be honest it was pretty full on, and that's just the classes and studying and exams not to mention the practical placements which range from 2 - 4 weeks long, 8hrs a day 5 days a week. If you are planning to breastfeed that may be harder as some days I was at uni classes all day (it would be less if less if you are going part time though) they are pretty flexible with class timetables though. I also have a 6 week old now and I'm on maternity leave, and some days I struggle to shower and hang out a load of washing out! However this is me and I am not an organised person and I struggle to do more than two things at once!

I remember a lady in my class in her 30's had 4 children one of them a newborn, she was studying full time and she was amazing! She wasn't the only person with young children too. Maybe research whether your uni has child care - most do - buy a good electronic breast pump or formula feed if you wish, and try and organise people to watch the baby while you can study.
    I love being a nurse, it's very rewarding and good money too! Good luck, I sure if you are motivated and organised it will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews

I am a nurse and currently studying psychology. It's hard to study with kids but it is manageable if you are super organised (no last minute night before essay writing as someone is guaranteed to cut a tooth or have a fever) but it is doable- I would try to be part time though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have already got my LO on the childcare waiting list at my uni.

I have decided to hold out til 2014, and reapply at the end of next year and go part time (I didn't know it was only an extra year added to your study time). That way I can spend that solid 8 months with my little one and during that time I think I am going to try and enrol in some kind of course to structure my writing & maths.

Thank you all for your feed back! I have a really good support network at home eg MIL can baby sit after 12:30pm and DP is really great. This has been my DREAM for so long I just don't want to give up