+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 week vaccinations

I'm just so scared of whopping cough. I didn't realise they are not protected until 6 months. Does that mean they don't recommend taking the baby out for 6 months?? When I go out I put him in his pram bassinet and cover with a blanket.
    He's getting baptised in 3 weeks, should I delay it?
    I just got told 6 weeks by a midwife but I may wait until 8 weeks.
    I'm a nervous mum as you can tell, last time he coughed I took him to the doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews

And can someone please tell me why where I live (Mosman) there is apparently a low vaccination rate?
    Did the parents forget to tell their nannies to take their child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hon,

You just need to be wary that's all. There's a chance he may pick up whooping cough but there's also a chance you could walk out the door and be hit by a bus that doesn't mean you lock yourself away for the rest of your life.

I go out and do normal stuff I just make sure to keep the baby away from others especially those who are coughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

There is a whole bunch of people who are anti vaccination and don't get them. They are thankfully a minority. Why it's like that in your area specifically, I don't know. In some circles it's very trendy to be "alternative" and not vax. So e people think vaccines cause problems even though the chances of severe reactions are extremely rare.

No, you do t need to stay home for 6 months, just use common sense. Keep bub away from anyone who is coughing or has cold symptoms. Make sure you have had your booster, same for your DH, bubs grandparents and anyone else they have regular contact with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jessica86 View Post
    Does that mean they don't recommend taking the baby out for 6 months??
    Not at all. They will have some protection from the 2mo and 4mo vaccines but won't get the full coverage until 6mo.

Thanks
    Reviews

Here in vic they say 6 weeks to get a start on the whooping cough vaccine. Other states may be different.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My baby is in a study where they gave the babies whooping cough vaccine at birth. They then measured immune response. The six/eight week vaccine definitely provides a reasonable level of protection in most babies. It might not stop them getting whooping cough but will reduce the severity. That is true with whooping cough vaccine generally though, which is why some people argue it doesn't work because they know immunised people who still catch whooping cough.