+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 week vaccinations

Hello,
    My baby is 6 weeks on Saturday and was wondering if it's ok to get his shots on the day or is it better to wait. I've heard ppl talk about delayed vaccinations. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Is there a reason you want it done so soon. I didn't give DS any jabs until he was 12 weeks old. I personally feel like his little body didn't need the extra stress. He also had some tummy issues so we declined rotavirus entirely.

Many people rush to do it as they want their babies safe from WC but this doesn't actually happen until after all doses are received. And of course even then its not foolproof.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi
    I've never heard of delayed vaccines but from the info i got from my health nurse I thought they had to be given by 2 months as next vaccine after that is 4 months & I suppose you wouldn't want baby to have them close together..that's just my thinking on it..maybe theres more i don't know as im learning all the time..my dd had hers 2 weeks ago at 8 weeks old..
    Sorry I haven't been able to give you an answer ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had it done at 8 weeks that's when I thought they were supposed to be done? Apparently they are being a bit more strict on when they are done and if they are done even a day before they are due then you have to have them redone!
    Take bub when you are ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabailey View Post
    I had it done at 8 weeks that's when I thought they were supposed to be done? Apparently they are being a bit more strict on when they are done and if they are done even a day before they are due then you have to have them redone!
    No you don't have to have them redone if they are done a day early, that's ridiculous. I don't know why anyone would tell you that.

They are meant to be done at 8 weeks, some drs advise 6 weeks mainly for whooping cough. The first shot provides some protection but they don't get the full protection of the vaccine until they've had all 3 WC shots.
    Some people delay all or certain vaccines as they believe it will have a negative effect or somehow overload their child's system. However, numerous tests have proven that vaccines are appropriate to be given as they are- the schedule is based on much research and study and endorsed by the government, who also part fund it through the PBS. There is no benefit to them to make babies ill. Others will tell you vaccines are bad, cause illness, are dangerous etc. just keep in mind the risk of an acute reaction is less than one in a million and the benefits outweigh that risk. All the best with your bubba!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (23-11-2012),~Marigold~  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

They officially say 8 weeks, but the '8 week' needles can be done from 6 weeks. I got my DDs 8 week needles a few days after she turned 6 weeks because I had to go doctors anyway for my 6 week post birth check, so I was there anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews

I got told that by my doctor.... I took my son 3 days early for his 12 month shots and she told me if I took him early they would have to redo them....

Thanks
    Reviews

They recently changed it so bubs can have them from 6 weeks. This means they can get coverage, in particular to whooping cough, much sooner. Delaying a couple of weeks doesn't make a difference, it just means your child isn't covered yet.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Shell T; 22-11-2012 at 21:42.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabailey View Post
    Apparently they are being a bit more strict on when they are done and if they are done even a day before they are due then you have to have them redone!
    The first ones have to be done between 6 and 12 weeks. No earlier, and if later will miss the window for the rotavirus vaccine.

Thanks
    Reviews

My 25 week prem had hers at 8 weeks when she weighed 1.7kg and was still on CPAP and tube fed. All of her doctors said that fragile babies are even more in need of the vaccines and there is no need to delay.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-11-2012)