+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lost children in shopping centres

I was horrified over the weekend. We had just arrived at our local decent sized shopping centre. It was a wet day so fairly busy.

Shortly after we arrived I noticed a little girl walk past calling for her mummy. When I turned back around to check if she was ok she had wondered quite away and was still alone.

I left my DS1 & 2 in the pram with my mum and took off after her.

It took a good 10 minutes of searching to find her mum at which time we both burst into tears.

On reflection there were at least 50 - 100 people walk straight past the poor girl without blinking an eye.

Are we really so self absorbed to not notice a 3 year old girl alone in a shopping centre calling for her mum? I am horrified. We all know how quickly we can lose sight of our little ones and I would only hope that someone would stop and help my boys in that situation.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thank gosh it was you and not some creep!
    Wow if I ever saw an upset toddler I'd want to make sure they found their parents quickly before anything happens to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also get really upset when I see a little one lost, sometimes I don't approach them because im worried it will upset them even more, but I'll stop and watch to ensure they find their mum. Other times I wait with them and help them find their parents. I remember being lost as a kid, it was terrifying!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have never have been able to walk past a lost toddler. I don't know how many I have helped find their parents, even when I was a teenager.

I would hope that if It ever happened to me and DD went missing (which i hope never ever happened), that someone would help her find me again and alert shop staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I see lost children I stay with them till we find their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews

Good on you for helping her. I would have done exactly the same.

Did you end up taking her to Centre Management or did you find her parents?

I think sadly some people were probably afraid to approach the little girl in case they were seen as being predatory.

You know, trying to get a little kid who doesn't know you to go with you (to find their parents) might cause a scene from the child and cause other people to look at you and wonder what you're up to.

It's just a shame that this is the way things are now, people are afraid to get involved.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend of mine found a little girls, crying, standing in front of a major department store so went over to her and asked her if she was lost and her Mum came over and went off at my friend because the little girl was being punished....alone.....in a busy shopping centre . So for doing the right thing by the child my friend got abused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 gets 'lost' all the time (his version of lost, not mine). People are always stopping to help him.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was heading toward centre management which was right over the other side of the centre and got 3/4 of the way there and this woman (her mum) came rushing over.

She was very thankful and looked liked she'd had quite a fright. I felt so sorry for them both. We were a fair distance from where I had found her. The little girl was only 3, same age as my son - he has been talking about it all week though. How the little girl was sad because she had lost her Mummy.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Lost children in shopping centres

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    I was heading toward centre management which was right over the other side of the centre and got 3/4 of the way there and this woman (her mum) came rushing over.

She was very thankful and looked liked she'd had quite a fright. I felt so sorry for them both. We were a fair distance from where I had found her. The little girl was only 3, same age as my son - he has been talking about it all week though. How the little girl was sad because she had lost her Mummy.
    Can I suggest that if you are ever in that situation again that you have a nearby store contact centre management so they can come to you, so you are not seen to be walking off with the child and they don't get the message that it is ok to walk of with a stranger. I am not suggesting you did anything wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 22-11-2012 at 22:10.