+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wakeful baby advice please.....

Hi, my daughter is 6.5 months and has never been a good sleeper...day or night...I have accepted that I have a wakeful baby and BF usually 2 times a night....BUT recently she has started waking and "Talking to and blowing raspberries" to herself for up to 1.5 hours a night. I was coping with the getting up, quick feed and /or settle back to sleep 3/4 times a night but the laying awake listening to her is driving me crazy as I can't sleep while she is still awake because I know eventually I will have to get up and settle her when she's had enough.
    Hints from other parents with wakeful babies.....????

I was wondering if maybe she is too hot? It's just started to warm up in Perth and I have her in a 1 tog with a long sleeved cotton singlet (no legs)...her room starts the night at about 24 degrees.
    Last edited by Mazzystar; 22-11-2012 at 11:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about putting her in another room? If she doesn't make noise for that long she may be able to fall asleep herself? If she's in another room you can grab some sleep while you 'wait' for her cos you mention she is just talking to herself, it's just her noise that's driving you nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there, I went through the same thing with my son at similar age. Is she doing the talking & rasberries after a bf? I found feeding would make my son sleepy & drift off again if I didn't feed him he would also do the same for hrs until he would get so overtired and scream the house down. The tips I tried which seemed to help is feed in darkness- very minimal light, zero eye contact- no smiles, kisses ect nothing to let bub know its time to wake. That really helped me. I hope you can find a solution soon ) hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is already in another room.....I have been sleeping in a room next to her to let my husband get some sleep. So I haved turned the monitor off but can still hear her.

No she is just waking up and starting the chat....often only an hour or so after feeding so don't want to feed again so soon.....but then as she does it for so long I end up feeding her when she does eventually call out for me.

Little monkey!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Is she just calling out or crying? Maybe of she's not crying just leave her and see if she settles herself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DD did that a few times a couple weeks ago but hasn't since. I too lay there for 45 minutes and fed her on the end to shut her up! She hasn't done it since. She's 6.5 months too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i am on my mobile so cant write a long response but my DD has always been a minimal sleeper. She only requires 11.5hrs sleep in a 24 hr period, even as a newborn. She has 1.5 hrs during the day and 10 hrs at night. Too much sleep during the day and she will be up chatting through the night. Even 2 hrs through the day is enough to cause her to be up for hrs at night. Maybe chart her sleeping and work out her actual sleep requirement. How much day time sleep leads to a good night time sleep? This is the question you may need to ask. I am happy to wake her during the day if it means a better sleep for all of us at night. The australian baby whisperer talks about sleep requirements, this is probably the only useful information i learned from buying and reading tonnes of books

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly better night last night....she only started at about 5am after waking for a BF at 4.40.....but must have dozed off and on in between babblings because I did too and then didn't actually call out/cry until 6.45am.

Rachel27....yes, she doesn't need much sleep at all, probably 12 hours max, also from birth, so I am used to that. Some days she might have 1 hour all day.

I'm sure it's just a phase as she learns something new or tries to process things but wanted to know that we weren't weird

Thanks for your responses.

M