+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Been given option of redundancy whilst on leave. What would you do?

Dear bubhub oracle & wise one,

I'm currently on unpaid mat leave, due to return in March. Whilst I've been on leave the company has done a restructure & my position no longer exists. I've been having discussions with my employer & a redundancy has been put on the table as an option for me to take now. Other option is to wait until I return & see if they can find an alternative position, which they may not be able to. So it may end up a redundancy anyway. The payout will be approx 4mths pay.

Personally I'm not sure if I really want to go back there anyway. The company has been through many changes & they haven't won much work. The people I used to work with are all gone. There has also been talk that they are financially stretched at the moment. They are indicating they want me to wait until I return in case they have a role for me somewhere.

But if I take the redundancy now, then I loose the opportunity to accept another position in the company & I will have to look for another job as an unemployed person.

But on the other hand I would receive my payout now (better to earn interest in my account!) & I won't have to worry if the company goes into financial troubles & loosing my money.

I'm torn! What would you do in this situation?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It sounds like you have already made up your mind. If I was in your position, I would take the redundancy now. As you said, you can earn interest on it and less risk of it being less if you are made redundant down the track.

Similar situation happen to me, except I was just let go because I had a baby and it would cost too much to train a temp (apparently). Shortly after I left for mat leave/non mat leave almost everyone I worked with quit and the place became somewhere else. So it didn't bother me.

But you sound like you would rather take the redundancy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like the package would be the way to go since you're not 100% sure about wanting to work there anymore. You may also be able to negotiate into it that they also pay for retraining/an employment agency's services to help you re-enter the workplace next year. I know this is something sometimes included into redundancy packages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably take it, although it would depend on how hard I thought it would be to find another job, and how desperately I needed to have the income.

Four months pay would basically take you to July next year, so if I thought I would most likely find another job by July, or at least be ok if it took a bit longer, then I would definitely take it.
    Last edited by shelle65; 22-11-2012 at 11:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would take it too, I don't think it's a big deal that you won't have a job when you are looking at returning to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would wait personally just in case something came up when I was due to return that was suitable for me.

Also, on your CV it means you are employed for longer which means there won't be such a long gap iykwim?

I have a feeling this might happen to me too....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take it and run! Sounds like a volatile work place and best you get your money now while you can!

Thanks
    Reviews

I would take it and when your applying for work just tell them you took a redundancy package simple!

The company could go under and you get nothing in a couple of months (when you return)!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Been given option of redundancy whilst on leave. What would you do?

Thanks all. I think I'm going to take it. The money is too good to refuse!
    Also if I take redundancy when I return, ill be put on as part time. So ill only get half the amount of money. Don't want to do that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You earn interest, but don't you earn leave if you take it later?