+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    He could be making lots of mistakes because he is rushing. My son was like that, always rushing his work and making mistakes. I just made him do it over and over until he got the right answer he learned that if he just takes his time and does it right the first time he saves time and wont have to do it over and over again. In my sons case I dont think ignoring his mistakes because he rushes would be doing him justice.
    Nah, he is not rushing, he rarely gets to finish his work, because he is struggling with the concept (he is only in Yr 1) It has taken him until this term to finally (thank the lord!) catch on to reading. I see what you are saying though, and in your sons case I agree, the teacher should use her/his discretion to mark appropriately. Children should be taught and treated as individuals, we all learn differently. This is why the education system has moved away from the rote-learning way of teaching, as they realise it is not the best way to learn for many kids. We should be celebrating our childrens strengths and working on their weaknesses in primary school. Primary school is very different to high-school, and majorly different to the workforce. It can not be compared. Primary school need to focus on educating children to be the best they can be, using whatever method best suits that child. Only the best teachers know how to do that, and it is the slack teachers that let the system and the children down.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (23-11-2012)

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin Off: Not correcting every spelling mistake

I love to hear that teachers take an individualised approach to correcting kids school work!

My DP is a terrible speller and is not academic at all and has never been. His entire school life he was told he was stupid, and that he didn't "get" things. Actually he really is very smart but he learns things very differently! He needs to use his senses to learn things. He can play music by ear, he can do just about anything with his hands, and if he is truly interested in a topic he has to know EVERYTHING about it!
    The damage caused by his school years still affects him 15 years after he left school! He has very low self esteem, still believes he's stupid in a lot of ways and it's heartbreaking.

Hopefully my kids get teachers like you who can see when a child is trying THEIR best and reward effort as well as achievement!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin Off: Not correcting every spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Its not about tip toeing around feelings it's about teaching to student individual needs in an appropriate developmental way. What works for some kids doesn't work for others. Teachers use a repertoire of strategies for indiviual learning needs and styles.
    Absolutely agree with this! One size definitely does NOT fit all students. As a teacher you must be able to recognise the individual strengths and weaknesses of your students and tailor your teaching accordingly. It's called differentiation and is vitally important in the early years of school. A good teacher is able to differentiate their teaching according to their student's needs and use their teacher judgement when it comes to correcting errors on a child's work. It depends on the strength of your assessments and observations of individual children and your teaching flows from these. By no means an easy task trust me!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *sigh* the comment/story that this thread was based on had nothing to do with any of this, but whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    *sigh* the comment/story that this thread was based on had nothing to do with any of this, but whatever.
    Sorry I didn't see the other thread that this was based on just putting my 2 cents on spelling philosophies in cos I can't help myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Sorry I didn't see the other thread that this was based on just putting my 2 cents on spelling philosophies in cos I can't help myself
    Nah it's ok, the OP was saying something completely different in the first place, I know it happens on bubhub all the time though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Nah it's ok, the OP was saying something completely different in the first place, I know it happens on bubhub all the time though
    That's why I spun it off - I thought it would have been rude to crash into the other thread with this viewpoint (but it was relevant to the tangent the thread was taking at the time).

PS. Spelling mistakes irk me no end, but I figure if someone has achieved success because a teacher saw their strengths and built on them, I'll forgive them if I overhear them saying they 'brought it at Kmart'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Spin Off: Not correcting every spelling mistake

A question.

What age group child are we actually taking about? Primary school yes but years up to 3? Or 4 to 7+? To me there is a big difference between correcting a couple mistakes on a whole page full of mistakes on a year 2 child and that of a year 6 child. IyKWIM.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think that not correcting a spelling error 'just because' it's maths is not really good enough but I do think that discretion should be applied.

I also think it's really sad that any child thinks they are stupid, I think that's more detrimental to a child's development that any over or under corrections.

I am a STRONG believer in teaching and enforcing correct English. As a school student if I ever gave my mother anything to read that I had written she would circle any English errors in red pen, I would then have to re-write correcting all the errors and then she would read for content. It used to annoy me so much at the time but I am eternally grateful now. In fact my job now requires me to have excellent English skills. (I have a very enviable job as I work from home, in the evenings and around the children and whilst I don't earn 'good' money it's certainly a whole lot better than what others earn!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read most of the thread, but I absolutely agree with the original poster.
    I'm a high school teacher who works with ESL (english as a second language) students, and this is a basic principle of teaching language. You do NOT correct every mistake. As a rule, you would focus on one specific concept at a time, and ignore most other mistakes. Many kids become discouraged if they're constantly corrected. When it comes to language learning, it's generally beneficial to let children develop their own spelling system as they gradually learn to spell correctly - it means that they learn to connect sounds with letter combinations which is far more important than having the correct spelling straight away.

Obviously it depends on the exact situation and the specific child, but I would never correct EVERYTHING unless I was sure that it would push that child to improve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast