+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Just drop out? No. You have to have a job to go to or finish school or turn 17- whichever you elect and happens first

Department of Education and Training NSW
    AH ok I thought at 16 you could do a trainee ship and not have to finish school. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD who is in grade 2 has had a teacher this year that only seems to focus on the things the children can not do. For a child who gets so down on herself for not doing things just so this has made the year a very stressful year for my DD.

She has been in tears at home because she does not understand certain things the first time they have been explained (eg fractions). If a teacher is going to correct every tiny little thing over and over again, then they also need to have a bigger focus on the things the child does well. Otherwise you get stressed and upset children who think that nothing they do is good enough.

This has not just been my child it has been others in the class as well. Thank goodness there is only 3 weeks left.

The thing is when I get her report she is getting all As and Bs so I don't actually know where she is going wrong and most of all she is under the impression that nothing she does will ever be good enough for a 'good work'.

I wish my DD had a teacher like you Stretched!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah so much to say but on my phone. Correcting kids spelling is one small part of improving their writing and spelling, putting language into context and making meaning are far better markers for improving spelling, its called 'whole language' approach. Sometimes the lesson focus is not spelling but paragraphs, punctuation, writing a sentence, building writing stamina. Some kids wouldn't write more than a few words ever, if they were constantly agonising over spelling. There is so much to constructing a good piece of writing, spelling is only one part. Learning to write is a scaffolded process.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Spin Off: Not correcting every spelling mistake

It would be a stupid thing to do for DD. She is really academic and a quick learner but she also believes her teacher knows absolutely everything and is never wrong.

If I said, "that's not how you spell that word," she would never believe me if that teacher hadn't bothered correcting the same error previously. She'd honestly believe I was wrong and her teacher/she was right.

Chanel always gets corrected and I'm glad of it. She learns from her errors and rarely makes them again after she is corrected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with PP that the teachers should use some discretion in regards to spelling correction, when not on a spelling/English paper. My DD is confident and clever and needs and would want her work corrected 100%. This is what all teachers do, and she hardly ever gets that sort of thing incorrect anyway.
    My DS on the other hand, totally lacks confidence in his own abilities, makes lots of mistakes, rushes his work and thinks he is stupid, useless and no good at school work He is very smart in lots of areas but lacks confidence. I have noticed the teachers focus on what the work sheet is about and overlook some things.

I believer they are doing the right thing and as his ability and confidence increase so will their thoroughness hopefully. Children learn in different ways at different rates and a good teacher should know how to develop their strengths without stomping on their confidence...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I agree with PP that the teachers should use some discretion in regards to spelling correction, when not on a spelling/English paper. My DD is confident and clever and needs and would want her work corrected 100%. This is what all teachers do, and she hardly ever gets that sort of thing incorrect anyway.
    My DS on the other hand, totally lacks confidence in his own abilities, makes lots of mistakes, rushes his work and thinks he is stupid, useless and no good at school work He is very smart in lots of areas but lacks confidence. I have noticed the teachers focus on what the work sheet is about and overlook some things.

I believer they are doing the right thing and as his ability and confidence increase so will their thoroughness hopefully. Children learn in different ways at different rates and a good teacher should know how to develop their strengths without stomping on their confidence...
    He could be making lots of mistakes because he is rushing. My son was like that, always rushing his work and making mistakes. I just made him do it over and over until he got the right answer he learned that if he just takes his time and does it right the first time he saves time and wont have to do it over and over again. In my sons case I dont think ignoring his mistakes because he rushes would be doing him justice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I think providing encouragement and giving honest and correct feedback on a student's work are mutually exclusive, and not marking a student's work correctly for fear of discouraging them does not benefit them in the long run...?! Are teachers so concerned these days with offending, upsetting children these days that we can't provide honest and constructive feedback? that is a problem with education these days. Children do need to learn how to cope with set-backs and be resilient, to learn their strengths as well as weaknesses! Spelling and grammar are crucial to a basic education - it astonishes me how badly one of my teacher friends writes actually. But it should always be corrected IMO, no matter the subject.
    We seem to tip toe around kids feelings, I dont think this is going to help them in the long run I mean how many bosses are going to say "well I saw you tried to give him the right change, so its ok youll get it"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not about tip toeing around feelings it's about teaching to student individual needs in an appropriate developmental way. What works for some kids doesn't work for others. Teachers use a repertoire of strategies for indiviual learning needs and styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    We seem to tip toe around kids feelings, I dont think this is going to help them in the long run I mean how many bosses are going to say "well I saw you tried to give him the right change, so its ok youll get it"