+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pre labour??? What do you think?

I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant due to be induced on Sunday night due to baby's heart condition and gestational diabetes.
    Anyway, yesterday I had internal exam to check my cervix and was given a bishops score of 5. OB has been saying bubs head is very low, cervix was soft and thinning but no dilation yesterday. He felt that it was unlikely I would go into spontaneous labour before induction.
    So... Since about 3am this morning I've been getting period like pain coming and going. Felt like I needed to go to toilet (tmi) but nothing happens! Got up to make a cup of tea and standing made it worse. Sitting down again and it's dull and not as bad.
    I've had no loss of plug that I've noticed or show. Waters not broken or anything.
    This is my first too so i have absolutely no clue. Our hospital is an hour away (only one that has a NICU to take care of bubs heart when born) so a quick trip to check on me is not really an option.
    I'm thinking I just sit and relax and see if it gets worse.
    If it continues I will ring midwife at OBs rooms but they are not open yet. I don't think it's anything?
    Any thoughts?How much weight do I put on the OBs opinion yesterday? Could the internal bring something on (he didn't do a sweep or anything) ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi Tamtam,

I am also 39 weeks (due sat!) and had an internal on Tuesday. Whilst I am already 1-2cm dilated, since the internal I was quite crampy (period pain type aches) for the rest of the day. I also started having what I think are Braxton hicks, but I couldn't be sure.
    Im still pregnant and not in labour, so I think it's quite a normal thing at this stage? Obviously things could change pretty quickly and your OB can only say what he thinks at the time, but I'd imagine they have a pretty good idea generally of whether it looks like you'll make another week or so.

If in doubt I would call the birth suite at your hospital and ask them- I wouldn't imagine they would want you to come in for a quick check if you are an hour away unless they thought it was crucial.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think i was having period like pain a few days prior to labour but I thought I was ready for him to arrive so every little thing I felt I thought was my imagination.

In regards to the plug/show, I never had one that I noticed. I had been noticing very small amounts of mucus when I wiped after going to the toilet but nothing major. I went into spontaneous labour 1 week before my due date so don't use that as a guide.

I would recommend just ringing the hospital if a visit is not an option.

As for how much weight to put on their opinion you need to trust your own instincts too.

I phoned the hospital when I was in labour and my contractions were 4 minutes apart lasting around 50-60 seconds. They suggested taking panadeine and going to bed until real labour started. I was not comfortable with that so said I wanted to come in and get checked out. They told me to have something to eat and drink and then come in. Didn't eat or drink but waited 45 minutes and then it's a 15 minute drive to the hospital. By the time I was examined I was 5 cm dilated and DS was born 2.5 hours later.

So my point to that is they don't always know. I've now been told if I have another to come in as soon as I get the first contraction.

Thanks
    Reviews

With my first i showed absolutely no sign of going into labour until I did. No dilation no loss of plug etc.

I had what ur describing that feeling i needed to go to the toilet but couldn't. After a while I realise it was a regular constant feeling and yep it was contractions. A few hours later my waters broke. I didn't lose my plug until the dr did an internal and I was only 1cm dilated.

My dr didn't think I was close to labour either due to my unfavorable cervix but I spoke to my mum and nan about it and apparently it runs in my family as my sister had it too when she had her little guy 6 months later.

Fingers crossed ur little one is in their way.
    Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Tam, I had an internal done on Tuesday, 1cm dialed with a softening cervix, she also massaged it, I guess to encouraged further softening, but I also had period like cramping Tuesday afternoon. So I would say its normal, but again, not having done this before I really have no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks for tips ladies. I don't think it's anything to rush to hospital over.
    Maybe it's just the internal exam I had...

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

It could be just the exam. What about calling the hospital and talking to a midwife for advice?

When I was 32 weeks pregnant, I got period like crampy pain. It went on for about 12 hours (and I thought I peed myself in that). I went to work and still had pain. By lunch called the midwives and they said come in. I decided to go in, via home etc. got checked out and I was in labour. So they called the hospital an hour away incase they couldn't stop the labour. But they managed to get it to stop after a bit. They said when I thought I peed myself was actually back waters.

Any who, my point is doesn't hurt to call and just ask for advice can settle your mind if you are worried .

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks. I will see how I go today, if its increases or waters break or something I will definitely give them a call.
    I think it's more wishful thinking. I want to go into spontaneous labour rather than induction!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

How you feeling Tam? I'm still having on and off period type pain and lost more of my plug today (now clear in colour) after the internal on Tuesday. Hoping to hold out till Monday now!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey cotton. Still got on and off pains but not as regular since this morning. Still no sign of anything else going on.
    I read somewhere that an I term can 'irritate ' your uterus so its possible it did something-just not enough!!!!!
    I'm off for my pedicure then!!! Haha.
    Sounds like the loss of your plug makes it more promising than me!!