+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Almost 8 week old always fighting sleep

I have no routine (only bath at 530pm) because every day and every night is different, nap time and feed times vary and the past 3-4 days DD has been very clingy and comfort sucking. She has a dummy which she will only take 8 times out of 10. I have to hold her to settle her to sleep and even then she's still fighting it, she use to self settle throughout the night but last night she didn't and cried in her bassinet until I got her and brought her into our bed. Tonight it's taken me hours to settle her and she is finally as sleep but after much hard work. She doesn't have wind as she is a great burper - and farter but have given her a little gripe water just incase. She sees a chiro so no issues with her being uncomfortable.

I'm so worried that she will get bad habits but the only way to settle her is in my arms tightly or on my boob! I've tried swaddling, rocker, bouncer everything and nothing seems to work. I want a routine but don't want her to cry herself to sleep and this week its just gotten worse, i haven't beeb able to do anything because as soon as I put her down off me she wakes and cries.. Sometimes I'm lucky and she stays asleep but that very rare.. Help?!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmmm thats a tough one.

Are you breastfeeding? If so, maybe look at your diet. DS used to get like that if id had coffee or chocolate.

Otherwise could she be overstimulated or overtired?

I think from memory there is a developmental leap at around 8 weeks which may explain it, but doesn't really help.

Hope you have a better night tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews

My ds was the same and I was tearing my hair out however as soon as he hit 12 weeks almost to the day he suddenly wanted to go to bed at 630pm. The bath etc is such a good idea and again we did the same and I think it slowly helped him get there

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I'm breast feeding but haven't changed anything really in my diet this last week, so not sure if its that. I do have the odd small piece of chocolate here and there so ill cut that and see if that's it.

I thought she may be getting over stimulated so the other night I thought I'd go into our room (as that's where her bassinet is) in the dark nice and quite and put her to sleep - nope she didn't want a bar of it. I was having lots of tired signs but spent a good 1.5hrs in there trying to get her to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

I highly recommend you look up 'The Wonder Weeks' - it's a book, and there is an app on the iPhone etc, that details all of the developmental growth spurts that your little one will go through - the spurts are age linked and come at predictable times and it sounds like you might in the middle of one now!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh gosh, I remember those days and now I'm doing it again, must be crazy!!
    I know it seems like you haven't slept for years and haven't had a moment to yourself in months when you're at that stage, but it passes so fast.
    As another poster said, by 12 weeks they normally settle into a routine of sorts, giving you some time to yourself and some predictability.
    I also just wanted to say that I breastfed my DS to sleep most nights for over a year. I still had nights away, but if I was gone he didn't seem to notice much...
    Now, he sleeps through the night 7-730 every day almost without exception. All I do now is bath, book, super quick cuddle, 30 secs, put him in his cot and he is asleep. He is 20 months now.

You sound like you're doing a great job!!! Don't stress too much.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is 6 months and I recall around that age that bedtime was a battle. I think she just grew into liking bed as we were consistent with her. We dont follow a routine or ket her cry. She loves going to bed now. It's quite funny to see and so much less stressful! I put her down awake and she lies there smiling and puts herself to sleep Something that works for us us to not have the bath at the exact same time (but between 6 and 7) but when she starts appearing slightly tired. So say she wakes up from her last nap at 5 and she starts looking tired, we run the bath and put her to bed after that. Her bedtime can vary anywhere then between 6.15 and 8 but always follows the same pattern of bath, book, boob bed. She has slept through the night the last month. And another thing that works for us is her Fisher Price seahorse. She sleeps with it as it lights up and she watches it as she goes to sleep. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thinkingaboutit- I just download the app you mentioned! I think you are right she is in a wonder week! :-/