+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs

Has anyone else had issues with their dog? Our mini foxy is getting old and we have gone for months now trying to teach 19 month old ds to be gentle when patting him. Was ok for months but just tonight ds leant on the dogs back and the dog snapped at ds. No damage done but I'm worried that one day it might be worse. Dog is normally outside but we let him in every so often. Ds and dog are ALWAYS supervised. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my opinion getting rid of the dog isn't an option so im not going to suggest that as an option. Thats just a personal thing though.

I think you just need to keep persevering with your kid and keep up the constant supervision. Also depending on how old, perhaps talk to your vet about some pain relief medication for your dog.

I know our big old dog is getting very stiff and sore and medicine from the vet helps her joints feel a little better.

Sorry its probably not great advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (21-11-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dogs

Totally agree with wine time. Speak with your vet, be vigilant when the dog and child are together, and continue to teach your child how to be gentle with the dog.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs

I'm with pp about rehoming the dog, at the end of the day it doesn't teach your DS anything and just upsets everyone with rehoming the dog.

As for what you can do, if your dog isn't too bad generally pain wise I wouldn't go the drug path. Your dogs reaction is just an instinct to protect himself just like we flinch away when someone accidentally stands on our toe or something. If you are really worried about your dog biting, buy a muzzle, a cage one like they use on greyhounds ect would be more comfy and your dog can still pant ect, but if he does turn to snap there is something between his teeth and your DS.

I work with dogs as a groomer, I am frequently in the same situation, be it because I am pulling on a knot or the dog doesn't want it's nails clipped. A high % will just touch, not many will go for the bite, it is a surprise reaction. I know it is different as your DS doesn't understand, but just to give you perspective on where I am coming from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dogs

Sadly a friend of ours just went through the same situation. He talked to the RSPCA, several vets, etc and all said that a warning like that means next time it won't be just a warning. He made the heartbreaking decision to put the dog down, it was incredibly sad for everyone. I am an animal lover and at first I was horrified but after hearing the decision making process I believe it was the right thing to do.

Just another perspective - I suggest you do as my friend did and ask several experts.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs

Can you keep the dog and your child separated? Say when the dog is inside he is only in the lounge room and your child can't get to the lounge room (baby gate)???

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs

I don't think you should rehouse him. I think maybe getting a behavioural expert in will help you as we'll.

Vets can link you to thinks like that too.

Just because he swipes once doesn't mean it will happen again. That's not guaranteed at all. But it's time to act to prevent the chance of it happening again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Sadly a friend of ours just went through the same situation. He talked to the RSPCA, several vets, etc and all said that a warning like that means next time it won't be just a warning. He made the heartbreaking decision to put the dog down, it was incredibly sad for everyone. I am an animal lover and at first I was horrified but after hearing the decision making process I believe it was the right thing to do.

Just another perspective - I suggest you do as my friend did and ask several experts.
    Thats pretty sad considering that warnings dont always turn into follow thru. I have rescued, rehabbed and rehomed a lot of dogs with behavioral problems. Had one dog that was horrid with children, he was abused and treated terribly he really didnt trust kids. I worked with him, and after 6 months or so he was placed in a home with children, he had earned his canine good citizen certificate and became a therapy dog at a childrens hospital. I am shocked that the RSPCA would suggest putting a dog down kinda makes me sad. Warnings arnt always going to turn to bites, if a dog snaps at you and you move or growls at you and you move you are giving them a reaction so they will keep doing it.

Dogs need to be in a pack, they need to really know who the leader is, and know they are at the bottom of that chain of command. Your dog is a old guy he is in pain, I would suggest keeping them separated and get him to the vet to make sure something more isnt going on.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Thats pretty sad considering that warnings dont always turn into follow thru. I have rescued, rehabbed and rehomed a lot of dogs with behavioral problems. Had one dog that was horrid with children, he was abused and treated terribly he really didnt trust kids. I worked with him, and after 6 months or so he was placed in a home with children, he had earned his canine good citizen certificate and became a therapy dog at a childrens hospital. I am shocked that the RSPCA would suggest putting a dog down kinda makes me sad. Warnings arnt always going to turn to bites, if a dog snaps at you and you move or growls at you and you move you are giving them a reaction so they will keep doing it.

Dogs need to be in a pack, they need to really know who the leader is, and know they are at the bottom of that chain of command. Your dog is a old guy he is in pain, I would suggest keeping them separated and get him to the vet to make sure something more isnt going on.
    It was very sad. He was at our house in tears many times talking about it. The dog was his best friend. He kept saying he wanted someone to tell him not to do it - but all the advice he received (and he talked to a lot of experts) was to put the dog down. No one gave him your perspective at all - I am quite surprised and interested to hear it. Perhaps if he'd talked to someone like you the dog would still be alive.

Like the OP, the dog was old and arthritic. I do know my grandfather's dog became quite aggressive in old age - not sure if that had something to do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    It was very sad. He was at our house in tears many times talking about it. The dog was his best friend. He kept saying he wanted someone to tell him not to do it - but all the advice he received (and he talked to a lot of experts) was to put the dog down. No one gave him your perspective at all - I am quite surprised and interested to hear it. Perhaps if he'd talked to someone like you the dog would still be alive.

Like the OP, the dog was old and arthritic. I do know my grandfather's dog became quite aggressive in old age - not sure if that had something to do with it.
    I feel very bad for both he and the dog. Hope he isnt still beating himself up over it.