+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Birth options -public? Private? Midwife led?

Hello, I'm currently deciding between two choices. San private or Hornsby, my inclination is Hornsby with shared care. What that means is I can see my local gp on some visits and obs at Hornsby on others. I'm pretty low risk, 29 , fit, have very active lifestyle and no health issues. I did speak to hospital they said if no complications with me or bub after birth we spend two nights. With visits from midwife after. It works for me, but I think its individual choice based on what you are comfy with, YOUR situation etc. Do I think o will be looked after? Yes, hospitals have duty of care. I would suggest actually having hospital tour to see the difference/ facilities.
    Good luck with whatever choice you make, hope your bub is healthy and happy.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread! This is my first baby so I had no idea about the differences between public and private - when I went to see my GP after my positive pregnancy test she just referred me to an obstetrician and told me to book him and the hospital the next day, so that's what I did - I didn't realise there was a choice!

I am not sure whether going private is all that great but on balance I'm happy with it as it's very reassuring to have an ob looking after me, and I can't imagine being sent home 1 or 2 nights after giving birth - I think I will really need the rest!

The most disappointing thing so far about private is the hospitals. I am going to St Vincent's Private in Melbourne and for all the money you pay, I expected the rooms would be much nicer and more comfortable. The one we saw on the tour was dated and dark, no guarantee of double bed, and the bathrooms are awful with no bath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Birth options -public? Private? Midwife led?

Mrs Stewart, when I did my tour at St V I understood that a double private room was guaranteed? Better double check my info... :-/
    My SIL had 2 babies there and they always stayed in a nice large double bedroom with views of the city. I guess they don't show their nicest rooms on tour as they would be occupied?

Back to the topic, main reasons for me to choose private was continuity of care and being able to stay 4 to 5 days at the maternity.
    My mum is a LC and a pediatric nurse in France. She always told me how important it was for mums to stay that long so that they are still under hospital care when milk comes and to get a chance to understand their baby and how to care for them. I guess this might be especially true for first time mums. So I guess I was really influenced by this and chose to go private.

I would have loved to go public through a MGP if there was an option of paying extra (maybe covered by PHI) and stay longer.
    I believe this is an option that we are missing in Australia : going public but being a private patient for post natal care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I visited my friend at St V's and was not impressed with her room at all. Mine at the Women's was waaay better and had a big bath. She just had a shower.

Apparently the food was good though and of course her hubbie was allowed to stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went public with shared gp/midwife care throughout the pregnancy, then was referred to an ob for possible iugr.

My labour was great, I had my main midwife there the whole time and two other that came and went, then the ob coming in only to see how everything was progressing.

I stayed for 4 nights (even after a perfect labour with no tearing or stitches and perfect latch with dd) and had my own room for 3 of those nights. I had a LC check on me everyday in hosp. then my widwife did a few home visits.

There wasn't one thing that I would change regarding care.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 26-11-2012 at 10:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Darwin def birth centre. But you need to be quick! Books out early!

I've gone public shared care which was ok, public midwifery group practice which was ok, saw the same midwives for all my appts but somehow didn't know the one I got in labour but was all good anyway. Third went birth centre- was the best. Fourth and fifth (twins) went private with Ob and independent midwife. It was up there with the birth centre experience as I knew them both and they knew me and my wishes. I'd never go private for a low-risk birth though esp if I had access to the home birth and birth centre program's available in Darwin

ETA My private postnatal care was the worst of all of them, my first night as a mother if twins I shared a room with three other women, one of them with about 10 visitors there til 10:30pm. I was livid, I was induced so they knew a mum with twins was coming in on that day, I would've thought I'd get priority for a single room! I did move into a single room the next day when one became available but the food was crap, I didn't feel supported breast feeding, I was berated for putting the babies in my bed/same cot etc. I really felt much more supported in the public system.
    Last edited by Annabella; 25-11-2012 at 19:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I would have loved to go public through a MGP if there was an option of paying extra (maybe covered by PHI) and stay longer.
    I believe this is an option that we are missing in Australia : going public but being a private patient for post natal care.
    But with MGP instead of staying in the hospital the midwives come and visit you at home, starting from the day you are discharged. You still get the same amount of care post-birth, its just in the comfort of your own home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I stayed for 4 nights (even after a perfect labour with no tearing or stitches and perfect latch with dd) and had my own room for 3 of those nights.
    That sounds like perfect public care!
    Where was it?

I'm so surprised at the differences of stays policies between public hospital. I wish 4 nights stay was the norm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    But with MGP instead of staying in the hospital the midwives come and visit you at home, starting from the day you are discharged. You still get the same amount of care post-birth, its just in the comfort of your own home
    Sounds like a great option. For my first I feel the need to have 24/7 care and not to worry about anything other than bub and I - so really want to stay at the maternity
    For 2d and subsequent bubs though midwives coming home to me would be perfect!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    That sounds like perfect public care!
    Where was it?

I'm so surprised at the differences of stays policies between public hospital. I wish 4 nights stay was the norm
    In regional NSW. I also have to add, the food was really good too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (26-11-2012)