Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private hospital, what role does OB play?

I went public but most of my friends went private. Their experiences vary from ob not showing up at all (public holiday) to being their often.
    I did wonder this before making my choice to go public.
    I also asked the obs what happens. When do you attend the birth? You have every right to ask. As you can see from all the replies it varies greatly and some obs have a policy on when to turn up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Anyway, to answer the op, my ob checked in on me every hour or so during my labour. He knew I didn't want internal so he came and said hi, checked my chart and that was it. When I was close to pushing he came and stayed till the end.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:48. Reason: Ref to edited text

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (21-11-2012),lovelymum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

One of my friends went Private, her OB came 30mins after her baby was born, she had a very quick labour.

I went Public and by coincidence her OB was the call in OB for the hospital I was in, and she came and checked me and helped me to push the baby out, then sewed me up while showing a trainee OB.

My friend was pretty ****ed, mainly because she paid out the *** for her OB, and she didn't get there in time. But she delivered mine for free and arrived an hour before hand.

But as its been said, different OB, different hospital, different experiences, you have to think about in the end what you really want, and what makes you more comfortable. Be sure to shop around for your OB, and don't be afraid to seek a 2nd opinion at any point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well said 4under4!! I went private for both mine and had the same ob whom I could not speak highly enough of.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:48. Reason: Ref to deleted text

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've had 3 (induced) births in a private hospital.
    All 3 times, my OB attended me for ARM in the morning, and then kept in contact with the midwife assigned to me until I was fully dilated and ready to push. During my second birth, my OB visited regularly throughout my labour to check on on me.
    My OB checked on me daily during my hospital stay.
    Most likely, you'll have a midwife looking after you throughout your labour- for my first birth I was very much left alone- at one stage, the midwife said she'd come back no check on me in a few hours, and I was gutted to think that no significant progress would be made in that time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Number 1. Induction due to PE. My OB was on holidays so had his back up who I'd never met break my waters. He then came when I was fully dialated and performed an episiotomy and venthouse delivery.

Number 2. Induction due to PE. Had my actual ob and he broke my waters and then came back when I was pushing.

Number 3. Emergency section at 31 weeks. Transferred from private hospital to public via ambo. OB was on holidays, back OB couldn't deliver at the public hospy, so I met a new dude just before he did the deed.