Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Private hospital, what role does OB play?

I have about 10 weeks to go until the birth of my first LO so have started to think a lot more about the actual birth. I'm going private in a private hospital and my OB practices from rooms in the hospital.

I've been reading about the different stages/ phases etc and realise labour can be quite long. So my question is, at what point is your OB called in? Do they come in regularly to check your progress or is it all done by the midwives right up until the end and then the OB is called? Just trying to visualise how I hope the birth will progress and realized I didn't exactly know at what point my OB will be around and what specific role he will have.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was in and out just depending on other patients and appointments he had
    pre- booked. I arrived at 8 am he popped his head in as he was doing rounds anyway, saw him about lunchtime and then he was called down from his rooms as i was in the last stages. I am sure it is different for different obs. Had it been a weekend or evening I guess he would have popped his head in as he left for the day and then came back when he was called later in the evening. I know my ob had a special bedroom in his offices to stay at the hospital if need be.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews

With my first the ob was in to check up every few hours and then only again until I was ready to push, the bonus (well not really) I had was that I needed to have a csection so she was already there all ready to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    it really depends on how your birth plays out. I went into hospital as I was bleeding and my Ob's practice partner saw me as my Ob was busy that morning. My Ob saw me that afternoon and stopped by at 4am the next day after doing an emergency c-section, just to see if I'd gone into labour. We had a chat then about how I wanted to proceed and I agreed to having my waters broken later that day.

My Ob came in to break my waters, and then saw me again four hours later at which point I was given syntocin. The midwife called her just before I began pushing and she was there for most of second stage.

I also saw my Ob every day I was in hospital.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:45. Reason: Ref to deleted text

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ob checked in while I was in labour and when the birth was imminent he was called in by the midwife and arrived within a few minutes - from there it took around an hour for DS to be born and my ob did the delivery. He also came and saw me every day post delivery in hospital to check my stitches etc... If you want your ob to do the delivery just make sure you discuss your wishes with your midwife and ob when you go into labour.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:46. Reason: Ref to deleted text

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:

Hamilicious  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Private hospital, what role does OB play?

My obstetrician, who I chose, trusted and paid good money for, checked on me quite a bit through my labour. Long story short, he also saved my life and my daughters.
    You can request nobody in the room, frequent checks, just.midwife, ob checks, ob only at the end...it is up to you, the great thing about private is the choice is yours.
    All the best for the next 10 weeks.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:46.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Chewie Cakes  (21-11-2012),Hamilicious  (21-11-2012),LilPetal  (21-11-2012),lovelymum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm just going to stick to the original question...

I went private and loved the support of my ob. I had a lovely midwife with me throughout the birth and my ob ducked in and out every few hours for the first half of my labour and every hour for the second half and then was with me for the last hour or so. When he wasn't there he was in phone contact with the midwife. I felt really well supported. I would discuss it with your ob at your next appointment. I found it really helpful in labour that I had had many previous conversations with my ob about different scenarios for how labour could go so when it came to the big day I really had the trust in him.

Good luck for your birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Back to the original question, it probably just depends on your labour. If its all progressing normally they might just come in right at the very end when baby is born and if you need stitches. I guess they would come in earlier if something is wrong.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 21-11-2012 at 21:47. Reason: Ref to deleted text

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on your obs. I've heard people say that their obs only came in at the end. My obs was in and out throughout the whole day - she was fantastic. I remember she and my husband watching the footy together too .

Like a PP said, it was important to me that I knew my doc well so that I felt I could trust her if we needed to make some important decisions at the birth. My labour was not too complicated but my obs was around and informed the whole time, along with a great midwife too.

Oh and my obs visited me every day while I was in the hospital too.
    Last edited by Electric Boogaloo; 21-11-2012 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Private hospital, what role does OB play?

With my first dd, i went into labour at 10pm. id been having pre term labour at 34 weeks so went to hospital at 12 on the midwives recommendation. They called my ob after id arrived to update him. They continued to monitor me and my ob arrived at 6am. My baby was born at 8:03am and was delivered by my ob. I then needed 4 hours of surgeryvto repair internal damage and was in my room at around 3pm. My ob then walked into my room at 6pm to see how I was. I saw him each day and 8 years later I am seeing him again for this baby and he has been excellent. I chose my private ob and im very happy I did. But I also respect others choices to not go with obs but for me I wanted to. During bith of my pregnsncies Ive had to wait for my ob as he was at the labour ward delivering. So i like that he puts patients first! So to answer the original question....i guess it depends on when you go into labour and how its progressing.