+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question When kids write things in their school diary

In term 2 DD was having some problems with an older girl in class, so Dd wrote in her own diary that she didnt like said child.

Last week another Girl (B) was going through DD's diary (left on school desk), came across the entry that said DD didn't like Girl A, Girl B tore out the page and showed Girl A

Now I have been called up to the school tomorrow morning as Dd is in trouble for what she wrote. Dd insists that all she wrote was "I don't like Girl A, she is not a friend."

Am I wrong in thinking its Girl B who should be in trouble, as she had no right to go through DD's diary much less tear out the entry and show Girl A?

Mind you, the teacher is supposed to go through their diaries regularly and had seen this entry.

I do go through DD's diary when it's presented to m. I had never seen the entry, DD insists she wrote it back in May and the teacher has previously discussed it with DD.

I need to have this clear in my head before tomorrow, but I don't think DD has done anything wrong - silly maybe, but not so wrong as to to get lunchtime detentions for the rest of the week, and to have to write an apology letter to Girl

So far as I aware (according to DD) Girl B has not been censured over this.
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 21-11-2012 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: When kids write things in their school diary

Aren't diaries for privately expressing your inner most thoughts? Nope dd has done nothing wrong. Girl b has. Damaging someone elses property. Invasion of privacy, intent to bully or at very least cause trouble. Also bring up the fact the teacher never made this known to you and to your knowledge it had been dealt with in an unsatisfactory manner.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankyou DSS - the only thing is their school diary is meant to be read by the teacher and parent - it's also a communication tool, it's not a personal diary.

But that is mostly how I feel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I wouldn't let the school punish my child for that. She has every right to write I don't like xyz and she is not my friend in her diary. If it was a on a piece of paper to show everyone, that would be a different story but still nothing that should be punished by that many detentions. She has every right to have those feelings and every right to write them in her diary so that she could discuss them with you her mum or the teacher. The child that damaged your child property and than showed her personal information should be punished. Still not a whole week but one detention.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When kids write things in their school diary

I don't think your child did anything wrong and I'd be making it cLear she shouldn't be punished. She is allowed not to like someone! Girl B should be in trouble for sure. How dare she go through a diary, tear out a page and she the other child? What a little sh!t stirrer!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (21-11-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When kids write things in their school diary

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Aren't diaries for privately expressing your inner most thoughts? Nope dd has done nothing wrong. Girl b has. Damaging someone elses property. Invasion of privacy, intent to bully or at very least cause trouble. Also bring up the fact the teacher never made this known to you and to your knowledge it had been dealt with in an unsatisfactory manner.

I really agree with this. If your DD ha retaliated by destroying girl B's diary or getting violent/yelling then maybe she might deserve detention but if it was just what girl B did then no i think Girl b should be the one in trouble here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: When kids write things in their school diary

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Thankyou DSS - the only thing is their school diary is meant to be read by the teacher and parent - it's also a communication tool, it's not a personal diary.

But that is mostly how I feel
    I realise this. Dd1 has one at school. But I think that is the general idea. Kind of a tool to see how the child is going at school and kind of encouraging them to write.

I just don't understand. writing you don't like x and they are not a friend is not bullying. It its expressing your feelings. If anything the teacher should have addressed this properly. Explained that it may have been how she felt then not necessarily now and diaries are personal. They are not to be read by other people and destroying others property is not on. Neither is showing other people the contents. It obviously was not intended to be used in any other context other than diary writing.

Keep us updated please. Maybe there is something else going on we/you don't know about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post: