+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought I'd be loud as I assumed if its that painful I'd be telling the world about it...but I just moaned a bit apparently. The woman in the room next to me sounded like she was being murdered and the midwife laughed when I asked if everything was ok, and why aren't the rooms soundproof...she said 'its like tennis players, some make noise some dont...we tune it out'
    Just do whatever works for you ;o)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Screaming during labor

I was really vocal from 8cm, when they broke my waters, up until I worked out how to use the gas and hopped in the shower. I think that's because I didn't feel my earlier contractions, so I went from zero pain to suddenly extreme contractions.
    When it came to the pushing, I was really focused and a completely different person than at 8cm. I was quiet, only making a 'tzzz' sound through gritted teeth with each contraction.

DH and Mum tease me about my vocalising at first, it was pretty hilarious.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I screamed. And screamed and screamed and screamed. It was all I COULD do, and I literally couldn't stop myself even though I tried.
    People who look down on those that are screamers only have their own experience to judge, they didn't have my experience so they can't say it wasn't a necessary thing for me to do that.
    So I don't let anyone else's opinion bother me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Screaming during labor

I vocalized through every out breath of every contraction for about the last 8 hrs of my labour. I only screamed right as she was crowning. The vocalizing helped me get through and I had no drugs or gas so if it works for you, then who cares

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My friend was a screamer and the midwives kept telling her off for it. I vocalised a lot and my midwife told me off and said I'd hurt my voice (she was right) and that I was redirecting my energy that I should be using to push. As a speech pathologist, my professional opinion is don't scream, and don't growl. As a woman who has given birth, my opinion is 'whatever gets you through'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

mummy and bubbles  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

With dd1 I screamed. And screamed. And screamed. They told me to be quiet, keep it down people are trying to sleep. Seriously? I was pushing a watermelon out of a hole the size of a lemon. I wasn't being quiet for anyone. No way no how. I feller better for it though. PS. I was induced

Dd2 on the other hand was the opposite. Given she was prem, and was coming of her own free will whether I like or or not, things were a little different. Everything happened so quickly. Contractions were not painful. AT ALL. Only had gas, as with dd1 (and that's cos I like the gas) . in fact we were all laughing at how quick everything was happening. They tried giving me pethidine during the actual pushing stage, cos that was a little painful but bearable, but *as soon* as the needle hit my leg out she flew. It was hilarious. Then the waiting around with legs in the air waiting for the placenta to be delivered. Tugging on it gently every now and then. All in all it was quite entertaining.

Each experience is different. Mine were very different in pain levels.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I concentrated on my breathing, with a few moans here and there but other than that I was silent. I at times wanted to scream but again concentrated one trying to relax, so was very quiet. DH said that I was concentrating so hard on my breathing that I showed my pain through my legs .. If that makes sense. They were shaking and they kept on hitting the bedhead of the hospital bed so hard that the midwives/nurses/DH thought I was going to break it!

Thanks
    Reviews

I 'ooo'd and 'ahhhh'd for the most of it, helped me focus on my breathing. Then I transitioned and all hell broke loose! Felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach with a spoon, my theory it was because of the abdominal surgery I had 2 years prior. I screamed like I was being murdered, because it felt like I was, I couldn't stop myself, even though I tried!

I think the comments you've heard about screaming being bad are more related to the actual pushing stage. When you push they want you to hold your breath and focus the energy downwards. If you scream, or generally exhale during the push, it makes it less effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No moral to my story....just a little story we still talk about after I had DD1 I was just settling into my room, and I could hear somebody SCREAMING down the hallway....past my room a hundred miles an hour in a wheel chair. My room was right across from the birthing suites and she screamed the entire time, and then she ended up my roomie for 2 nights....and her bub screamed what felt like the entire time. So we kinda nick named them 'the Screamers' Sorry, as I said no moral, just tickled my fancy.

Not long after, hubby and Mum went home, and said they had left their car in the driveway of the hospital, with the door open and the ignition running Must have been a close call.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I screamed. And screamed and screamed and screamed. It was all I COULD do, and I literally couldn't stop myself even though I tried.
    People who look down on those that are screamers only have their own experience to judge, they didn't have my experience so they can't say it wasn't a necessary thing for me to do that.
    So I don't let anyone else's opinion bother me
    Very well said! I was a big screamer too, and I didn't seem to have any control over the screaming, it's just what happened. I was induced so the contractions were very intense and all I could do was scream!