+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Screaming during labor

My first son was born 11 years ago, I was 17 and had an epidural and did not feel a thing!!!!... when I was pregnant with DS2 I didn't want any drugs so I knew there would be pain (obviously!)... everyone always says "don't scream because it makes your pushing less effective" etc...

My labor was really good, I was in the shower for a few hours and as long as that hot water was on my back I was in hardly any pain... the midwife examined me and by this stage she said I could start pushing whenever I felt like it, it wasn't long before the pain/pressure was so full on that I was just yelling/screaming... a midwife from outside even came in to ask if everything was ok... but I couldn't help it... then I started feeling embarrassed that I was being so loud and even now I think about it I'm quite emarrassed because I didn't hear anyone else yelling or moaning loudly the whole time I was in the birthing suits....

While I was pregnant I watched videos about calm births and they were so quiet and peacefull, but mine was nothing like it!! I watched videos of births where the mum only let out a few moans here and there....I don't understand how anyone could be so quiet... and now when I think about my next baby I'm worried/embarrassed that i'll be the same again...

How did you react in labor? were you loud? quiet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't make a noise, but not because I thought it was cool or braver not to, but simply because that's what worked for me. Concentrating on relaxing and putting my energy into birthing my baby rather than making noise was how I got through that part of labour.

I don't see anything wrong with making noise if that is what works for you!

However, if it's a really panicky OMG I'm dying type noise, I imagine that is why the midwifes would be concerned. They would be worried that you were panicking and flustering yourself.

If however the noise was just something that naturally came out of you, and it was not freaking you out, then go with it. It's your birth, make whatever noise you want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Miah  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Screaming during labor

I was pretty quite for most of my labour but After 2 hours of ineffective pushing I was emotionally hysterical. I was sobbing profusely (sp) and hyperventilating which was really really loud. I mentioned to my OB afterwards that I was a little bit embarressed but she was like "no no no we were all so concerned for you and starting to feel a little teary seeing you like that". I just figured Im sure they have seen it all and labour and birth is so different for everybody. Some need to yell, cry, swear or not make a peep none of it is anything to be embarressed about, whatever gets you through

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I was similar to Caz above, I didn't make any noise as I was concentrating on my breathing.

To be honest though my silence made it difficult on my hubby and midwife as I wasn't communicating with them. They would ask questions which I would answer, but only in my head, so they didnt know how I was coping.

Each to their own I believe

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was silent but it wasnt something I was trying to do. Before I was dilated I didnt realise I was dilating (was due to be induced the next morning) so I assumed that pain was the least of my troubles and just kind of worked through it. They had given me 2 sleeping tablets roughly an hour before they realised I was actually fully dilated and I had to start pushing so I was too calm to scream. Id push through a contraction and then practically fall asleep until my next one.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

I was quiet, but because I had very high bp and other issues I had to have an epi and has at the same time.

The epi was almost useless as the machine kept failing thanks to my bp and wouldn't administer the dose. Hence the gas.

When pushing time came, I didn't make a noise. All I remember was being so determined that I wanted her out. The midwife let me push as I felt like I wanted too. I was sitting up and would sit quietly then all of a sudden take a massively deep breathe and then push hard. Took about 3 pushes and she was out.

My strange breathing technique was more embarrassing than anything else haha. Everyone thought it was hilarious.

When I had DD no one was brought into the birthing suite side as my body was playing up, no one one would of heard me if I did scream.

When I was with DD in our room, I remember hearing a woman screaming constantly. A really painful blood curdling scream.

But you know what, people cope in different ways and there is nothing to be embarrassed about at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Right at the point, just before baby actually comes out, when contractions are right on top of each other with no relief between - I screamed a bit with the peak of each one. I thought I was quite loud at the time (felt VERY painful) but later on my midwife referred to me as "quiet" so I guess some, even lots, of noise is pretty normal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was told after my birth that o was very primal in what noise I made.
    I grunted and groaned but it was effective so I'm not embarrassed.
    At the time I didn't care.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a screamer! Really very much so.

During my first labour, the midwives tried to get me to stop screaming, they were worried I was going to damage my vocal cords!
    In my other 2 labours, nothing was said to me. I think they realised that that was my coping technique.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

With DS1 I wasnt prepared for labour being what it was and was induced and I cried and cried and got hysterical at the pain at one point. Coming out of it I realised it did me no good and actually made the whole process harder.

When I went into labour with DS2 there were complications (had an abruption with heavy bleeding but the hospital were horrible and just Let me labour for 32 hours!) I channeled the pain differently. I read a lot about calm and hypnobirthing and I focussed the pain inwards and used it to calm myself and imagine the pain helping with dilation. I cannot recommend hypnobirthing enough. I'm not saying it wasn't painful. It was. But keeping my emotions in check and not letting the pain consume me helped me deal with the intense, long labour. I wad told by a few midwifes that I was the calmest person they had ever seen in full labour.

The pushing part for me was the easy part. 3 pushes and he literally flew out into my husbands hands.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub