+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ante-natal Classes - Mercy Mt Lawley

Hi all,

I am pregnant with my first and have booked in for the 1 day ante-natal class at Mercy. DH & I are looking forward to it, but we constantly have people telling us not to go to the class, and that they are not worth it?

Why are people being so negative about classes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi miss85, I think the reason some people are so negative about them is because they mainly focus on birth with interventions, so c/s, epidural, induction etc. They don't seem to give you practical support such as your birth rights, massage, positions, ideas on natural pain relief and most importantly that you have the right to decline any of their policies and procedures. This is a huge thing that some woman forget about.
    I guess if you want to have a natural birth, there are better ways of getting information. But in saying that, it's great to go to the hospitals ones, as you can have the opportunity to ask about their statistics, policies, go on a tour and get to know the MW.

There are heaps of independent birthing classes around and if you are going fora natural birth they would be very beneficial, they will empower you and deepen your understanding of the birthing process.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JTMH For This Useful Post:

miss85  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Ante-natal Classes - Mercy Mt Lawley

I did the classes at mercy and it was great! The nurse focused on natural birth and said she would just run over cs and emergency cs too which she do quickly and asked who was having one so they could ask her more if they wanted.

I went with dh plenty of other men there. It really opened my eyes as i didn't know what to expect. The breastfeeding part was great it drilled into me how to do it and that came in handy when o needed iy.

I also had people being negative saying its a waste of time etc but i came out so happy. Do go to it and u can take from it what you want if you don't agree but i thought it was fantastic!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

miss85  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JTMH & Pisang,

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am definately going for a natural birth, but am open to epidural or emergency c/s if needed.

I am very keen to go to the class to not only learn about the birth, but also the after care aswell. My sister has 3 young children, and although I feel like I know alot about looking after babies, I have no idea about breastfeeding (and the rest, which comes with being a new Mum!) and am excited to learn.

Ah! Let the adventure begin!

Thanks again.