+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming lessons

just took my 19 month old ds back to the same swimming school he went to about 7 months ago. It was horrible to start with, screamed and clung desperately to me for the first 15 mins. Has anyone had any luck getting bub to like swimming again after a break? I was suprised that he was this frightened because he used to love swimming...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried starting him off in a shallow splash pool, i don't know if you have tried this but try sitting on the side of a shallow splash pool and dangle his legs into the water with him sitting on your knee and just splah a little bit of water over his leg and say yay. A pool attendant told me the best thing you can do to get a baby/infant used to and loving being in the water is to encourage them. I had a similar problem with my DD except she hated the bath would do the same thing as your ds so i would sit her on the edge of the bath and dangle her legs in and every few days i would graduely ease her further into the bath until she was happy to sit in the bath now she loves her baths and now loves the pool as well. hang in there it will pass and he will soon love swimming

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was the same. Loved swimming then had to stop for a year due to tonsillitis. Spent the two months before returning to lessons watching her sister swim and adamantly informing me she was NOT going to do the same.

First lesson I told the instructor I'd be thrilled just to get her in. We sat at the side of the pool and she wouldn't even put her legs in. The teacher ave her a basket of toys to play with, then made a game of seeing how far she could throw them not the water, then gave her a net and I put her on my hip and we went out to collect them all. The distraction of the toys stopped her thinking about the fear of the unknown and the games made it fun, and after that she went in quite happily. I've seen this work for loads of scared kids at our swim school so something along these lines might be worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Swimming lessons

Yes!! We had two terms from 6 months then a year off now back into it. He screamed for the entire first lesson back although relented a bit when the instructor brought out the toys to fetch in the water. The next week I just talked about the toys and there was a lot less screaming. By Week 3, it was all happy happy!

Find something in the lesson that is fun and focus on that. Good luck and keep persevering.