+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Melbourne and Pregnant!

Oh, and as for making friends. If you give birth in Victoria, you will automatically be registered with your local maternal health nurse, who will in turn introduce you to your "mothers group". They are a small group of fellow FTMs that all live in the local neighbourhood and had kids at the same time.

My DS is 15months old and our original group of 7 still catches up every week. It's a wonderful resource.

So campaign hard to still be included in a mothers group if you end up arriving after bubs is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

And join the Due in May 2013 group on here to make some friends too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

hope you have been able to find out more info.

If you have access to public health you could do shared care at the Royal Women's with the midwives at MAMA http://midwivesandmothers.com.au/.

You need to book into Royal women's and be referred by a GP to MAMA. I saw my midwives at their centre for most of my appointments (my first hospital appointment was at 19 weeks). For the birth my midwife came to my house and then to the hospital until our baby was born. It does cost but it was amazing.

They also attend home births if you are that way inclined.

Good luck, I have heard that the UK has better maternity care than we do here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for all your help!
    It is now confirmed...I'm moving to Melbourne mid Feb and my first baby is due 7th May, madness! We are busy sorting our visa's, removals etc.
    I am covered for maternity care, antenatal care etc through the reciprocal healthcare agreement. I am in talks with Sandringham hospital with regards to my application and maternity care as I'm not entirely sure where I'll be living. We have temporary accommodation for when we arrive but I shall be moved into our permanet address by the time our baby is born, (well that's the plan anyway!).
    kw123...can you point me in the right direction of the 'due in May 2013' group on here?
    Thanks again x

Thanks
    Reviews

SarB welcome to Melbourne!!! You will love it here. I am due in may too, but because its twins, they will probably arrive sooner. Where are you going to be based?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm from the UK and living in Elwood, moved here last September. Due end of June with first baby. Am booked into the Sandringham as a back up though am hopefully planning a home birth with MAMA midwives. I have spent a lot of time researching EVERYTHING to do with giving birth etc etc here and in this area so if you need any advice at all let me know. Where are you going to be living? Good luck with the move and feel free to contact me. All the best. Juliax

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi suzcrawf,
    I am in elsternwick temporarily at the moment but move into the house we are renting in the Sandringham area next week.
    Wow, twins! Are you having a c-section or hoping to give birth naturally? When are you due?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for you message Julia. I'm hoping you got the message I sent you. Not too sure how this all works but think I posted a message to your profile?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi SarB, well in answer to your question. C section unfortunately. And the girls were actually born 3 weeks ago (26+4 weeks!!!!) they are in NICU @ The Women's and will be for a while. They're doing really well, just need some more growing time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by suzcrawf View Post
    Hi SarB, well in answer to your question. C section unfortunately. And the girls were actually born 3 weeks ago (26+4 weeks!!!!) they are in NICU @ The Women's and will be for a while. They're doing really well, just need some more growing time
    O wow, Congrats!
    Pleased they are doing well. Bet you can't wait to take them home. Hope all goes well.