+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you think Autism needs to be cured?

I think this is a really difficult question. If you're talking about people whose autism is so severe they can't lead functional lives, then that's one thing. But I'm a strong believer in the positives of, for example, mild Asperger's, without which we would probably still be living in caves

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (22-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can only speak about my experience with my brother. He has Aspergers and while we were younger I did wish there was some magic wand I could wave to make life easier for him. Making friends while younger wasn't really easy for him and it used to break my heart. Oh the fights and arguments I had with people But if there was a 'cure' he wouldn't be HIM. That would be worse I think. I wouldn't change him for the world but I can appreciate that some people who have children with different levels would want a 'cure' or maybe not. Its too hard to yes or no.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (22-11-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes i think that they should strive toward a cure but i also think that autistic people or there parents should have a choice in whether or not the go ahead with the treatment, many with autism go onto have great lives, but there is also the side of autism that many dont see the heart breaking side.

I know among SN parents its often the done think to say that Oh yes they have this that or the other but i wouldnt change them for the world, Well I dont see it like that my DD has special needs would i change things if i could hell yes i would change things for her, there is no way given a choice that i wouldnt make her life easier that doenst mean i dont love her or respect her she is my whole world but if i could make her life easier for her with out puttling her through deadly risky surgeries then hell yes i would do it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd prefer it if people focused more on accurate diagnostic measures than cures.
    I've met many a child wrongly diagnosed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Do you think Autism needs to be cured?

I can't claim to know what its like to live with autism. I hear what you are all saying. I understand not wanting to change who a person is now. Would future prevention for lack of a better word be more ideal. For future generations not to experience autism. I saw on TV the monetary (or lack of) break down in financial assistance. Disgraceful.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'd cure my sons autism in a heartbeat if I could .

Not change HIM. Change he's autism . The autism that causes him to still be completely non verbal , only eat two foods, have severe sensory issues , among so many other issues that break my heart everyday .

I hate he's autism . I hate how it makes him struggle , feel stressed about even the smallest of changes to he a routine , frustrated that he can't communicate . I hate he's autism beyond belief .

I don't care if its not PC to say it.

Of course I want my beautiful boy just the way he is , he's my world I love him more than any words can convey but to take away he's autistic traits and issues , yes yes yes :-(

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    I'd cure my sons autism in a heartbeat if I could .

Not change HIM. Change he's autism . The autism that causes him to still be completely non verbal , only eat two foods, have severe sensory issues , among so many other issues that break my heart everyday .

I hate he's autism . I hate how it makes him struggle , feel stressed about even the smallest of changes to he a routine , frustrated that he can't communicate . I hate he's autism beyond belief .

I don't care if its not PC to say it.

Of course I want my beautiful boy just the way he is , he's my world I love him more than any words can convey but to take away he's autistic traits and issues , yes yes yes :-(
    This.
    Yes.
    It would change my brothers. Thats not always a bad thing. And doesnt mean I don't love them. It just means they will actually be able to speak to me and communicate. It means he will be able to tell us when he is sick. It means he may by now have a job and be saving up for a house. Or have a girlfriend or even wife by now and children. It means his life would be more fulfilling for him. As it is he cant talk. He gets frustrated because he can't communicate. He spends his days playing with remote control cars or just sitting on the couch staring into space. I would change it in a heartbeat. Oh to have a conversation with my brother I think its cruel that anyone would leave him in this state if there was the option there to cure him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfberrylizard For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (22-11-2012)