+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To Express or not?

As the title suggests I am after opinions/advice on whether I should/need to express as well as feed my LO.

Everyone talks about pumping and all the routines I've read include times to express.

I am feeding exclusively breastmilk straight from my breast and having no problems with that so my question is:

Should I be expressing and storing my milk?

With the routines they suggest giving a bottle of EBM at the last feed before bed. My concern with this is that it will cause attachment issues with my breasts for him.

For those of you who have done the bottle of EBM each night has this happened to you? What were your experiences with doing this? Did you see a benefit?

My DS is 4 weeks old today, so if going to express when do I start? I've heard wait until 6 weeks when my supply is sorted??

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Which routine is recommending EBM each night?

I personally think 4wks is too early if you are not having any supply or feeding issues. Often in the early days, if you pump you just make more (supply and demand) so you could end up with a painful oversupply.

Having some stored in the freezer is great as a back-up for sure, but not a necessity in these early days unless you were having problems.

After about 6-8wks, I did express occasionally so DH could feed bub - good for them and gave me a break. But I would never make it a regular thing as I'd be worried it would start affecting my supply or attachment.

Of course others on here may have different advice, good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Unless you 'want' to start giving bubs a bottle or have supply issues (sounds like you don't) I wouldn't bother expressing. To be honest it is quite tiring to bf and express. So unless you need to I wouldn't.

My son is bf and at around 5 months I decided to start offering him the occasional bottle. At first he wouldn't take it. Then I changed bottle brand and used a faster flow teet and from then he's been happy to have bottle or breast.

The 'risk' of offering a bottle in early weeks is that some babies then decide they prefer the bottle as its less effort and then reject the breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't bother expressing unless you need to. Feeding on demand is what is recommended by all the major health authorities. Routines are for dancers, not newborns, IMO. Congrats on your bubba

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-11-2012),Sarelou  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

There's absolutely no reason for you to need to express if everything is going well breastfeeding which it sounds like it is. I think people often really over complicate things trying to express as well and it's concerning that you're finding that so much of what you read incorporates expressing!

You might want to at some point in the future just for your own convenience (going to movie, gym or whatever) but that's totally up to you.

Source - I sell breast pumps, lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    for my first child I did the whole breast feeding and expressing frequently as the book and the nurses at the hospital kept telling me to express and I suffered so much due to constant engorgement.

With my 2nd DS I got the advice again to "express to boost supply" from the nurses in the hospital and i ignored it and never touched my expresser till 6 months and had no problems at all with breast feeding and never needed to express for wonder weeks / growth spurts my milk was enough.

The only reason I expressed at 6 months was due to giving him milk in his breakfast when introducing solids I kept doing this till 10 months but now I still breast feed (he'll be one next week) and I just put normal milk with his weatbix.

If you can produce milk then the best way to boost supply is just keep feeding your baby frequently. I was doing it for every 3-4 hours in the beginning.

People kept saying he shouldn't be sleeping through the night as he is fully breast fed but he did from 4 months. I still give him a dream feed at 11pm though (even though he is almost 1). He is on the 80th percentrile so I think he getting enough milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expressed from about 8 weeks once my nipples felt ready and no longer sore. I'd express off the excess after a feed which by end of the day would make a bottle which DH would give before he went to bed. I'd feed at 7pm'ish and DD would go to bed. I'd then go to bed at 9ish and get a good 6or7 hours before needing to feed again.
    Worked great for us as DH got to be hands on without me over his shoulder and I felt human by having a good chunk of sleep.
    After a few weeks I was able to feed at 7pm and express off a bottle at 9pm before going to bed.
    On nights I stayed up i'd feed her and freeze the expressed.
    My DD wasn't bothered if it came from boob or bottle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

sorry to clarify it didn't say I should give a bottle of EBM each night, just that I could to give hubby a chance. I wasn't keen on this as I'm worried he will get lazy and only want the bottle.

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you NEED to express?

I never expressed for my two. I would use the pump when I was engorged (which had settled down by 8 weeks) and sometimes I would pump after a feed to increase my supply if I thought it was a bit low. I would freeze the EBM for "just in case" but in the end threw it out.

If you are fine with feeding, if your DH is not asking for a turn, and if you are happy to keep bubs by your side then dont bother. IMO it is easier to hike your top than bother with all the bottles and sterilising and freezing and all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKathleen View Post
    Do you NEED to express?

I never expressed for my two. I would use the pump when I was engorged (which had settled down by 8 weeks) and sometimes I would pump after a feed to increase my supply if I thought it was a bit low. I would freeze the EBM for "just in case" but in the end threw it out.

If you are fine with feeding, if your DH is not asking for a turn, and if you are happy to keep bubs by your side then dont bother. IMO it is easier to hike your top than bother with all the bottles and sterilising and freezing and all!!
    I don't feel like I need to but everyone talks about expressing and the books too so I was wondering if there was something I was missing by not thinking I needed to.