+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Holding food in mouth.

Hi all. My 16 month old DS takes forever to eat.The reason being he holds the food in his mouth rather than swallow it. Sometimes I give him a mouthful of custard along with his dinner as a means of getting him to swallow. This is a new development and he is cutting his molars so I'm hoping that it is a phase. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so what did you do about it?

TIA, Liddia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Holding food in mouth.

Does he chew the food at all? Maybe his teeth hurt too much to chew right now since he is cutting his molars. Could you go back to using softer foods for a little while? Food that doesnt require too much chewing. He could have really sore and tender gums so it must not feel very nice to have food in there to chew and swallow. Sounds like it might just be a phase, molars are huge I can imagine his mouth could be quite sore

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Purple Lily. We are currently eating a beef and vege casserole that has been mashed. He is actually not doing too badly with it tonight, but is still taking his time. But yes, I have noticed that it's easier with softer foods. Could just be a matter of waiting him out I suppose. Thanks so much for replying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS2 used to 'hoard' food in his mouth, i found a piece or potato jammed into the roof of his mouth an hour after he had finished dinner! It was a phase that he grew out of. (he was about 10-11mths old at the time)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Does he have many finger foods? My 10 month old niece used to "store" food when she was being spoon fed but once she started on finger foods she never stored any food in her mouth!
    Also actually biting down on hard food is great for helping their teeth cut through the gum so hard cucumber sticks or cruskits would be really good for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    He holds different things in his mouth on any given day. SOmetimes he'll eat finger foods or be spoon fed no worries, other days he'll just hold them in his mouth. FOr example about a week ago he shoved a whole sandwich in there, that had been cut into manageable pieces, swallowed half and then kept the other half in his mouth. I will hand him individual pieces, thinking he has finished the last piece only to find he has it shoved in his cheek. He is a picky eater. He won't eat vegetable except under duress . He won't eat pieces of veges, unless its a potato chip ( like that counts) I've tried making sweet potato chips, cooking pumpkin cubes in cinnamon etcetcetc. I really don;t know what to do, I'm basically feeding him the 5 same things becuase I know he will eat those and wont hold them in his mouth.. He loves fruit, just not the veg or the meat unless its ham or sausage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

My DS sometimes holds food in his mouth too. I make sure he has a cup with water in reach during his meal times and this seems to help as I can offer him a drink and then he swallows down the water and the food.

Occasionally he will spit out a bit of food about 15-20 minutes after meal time is over (usually after dinner when he's in the bath).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My youngest is 2 (same birthday as your little on elijahs mum and she does this all the time with everything it drives me nuts. I don't mind if she doesn't like something but she needs to tell me so she can spit it out but she doesn't she just holds and it and will happily hold for hours until i realise and make her spit it out. She doesn't do it because of teeth though because usually the food is throughly chewed and just liquid in her mouth.

Sorry i don't have any advice she's done it since she started solids and is still doing it a year and a half later