+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Traveling to Fiji with a 7month old.

So next year we are off to Fiji for a wedding. I have a few questions that hoping you guys might be able to help with.

1. We are traveling with Virgin. When we take the formula, does the tin need to be sealed? And is there a limit to how many bottles you can take on the plane. It's only a 4hr flight however due to an emergency landing in LA last year and being stuck in a hotel without luggage being returned I want to be prepared for the worst!

2. Bub will need bottles made up over there. I've always been cautioned to drink bottled water over there. Do I make his bottle on Bottle water? I've also heard there is lots of sodium in bottled water though.

3. Am I best to take packaged food or let him eat fruits and things over there? Or do a combination?

4. Should I get him vaccinated for travel? He will have had his 6 month needles by the time of travel.

I've spoken to several midwives who've given different answers. So just wanting to know what others have done.

Any tips on must take items for bub?
    Obviously bub is only 5 weeks old at the moment, however just wanting to get organized early!!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My bil and sil have just taken their 8 month old to Fiji for a week. I will ask them what they has to do/recommend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have only travelled overseas while still breastfeeding, so can't help with formula questions..

Bottled water is the safest option. If it has some sodium in it, for the short-term it's probably not going to hurt. Better than catching a water borne disease!

However, raffertys pkt foods are easy to travel with (even if you make your own foods at home) otherwise, some fruits are likely to be ok over there but be careful as they may be washed in contaminated water. Fruits with "tough skin" like bananas should be ok though.

As far as vaccinations go, I was told by 2 different Drs that extra vaccines weren't needed for Thailand, so I'd guess Fiji would be similar
    Last edited by MyPossum; 20-11-2012 at 14:13.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

Sarah18  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Lil Miss - that would be great. I know I have plenty of time but want as much info as possible.

MyPossum - thank you so much. I was worried about fruits and things as well, I will just pack enough solids and if we are able to eat some foods we will otherwise he can just have tinned food.
    We aren't going for too long, so bottled water would be the best option. I was warned that some bottled water is from a tap, so I will be careful of that. How did you go on the plane with bub? Did bub watch TV? How did you keep bub amused for the duration?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a kettle in your room? Boiled water would prob be better as then you know any nasties will be killed. Or if no kettle I'm sure the staff will boil some in the kitchen for you. If you are staying at a family-friendly place I'm sure they'd be used to dealing with babies. Perhaps you could email them and ask. Have a great trip - Fiji is lovely

Thanks
    Reviews

We are staying at the outrigger and in a Bungalow to ensure we have a kettle. Plus we wanted a bath tub also. So we will always boil the water!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah18 View Post

MyPossum - thank you so much. I was worried about fruits and things as well, I will just pack enough solids and if we are able to eat some foods we will otherwise he can just have tinned food.
    We aren't going for too long, so bottled water would be the best option. I was warned that some bottled water is from a tap, so I will be careful of that. How did you go on the plane with bub? Did bub watch TV? How did you keep bub amused for the duration?
    Dd was really good on the plane- we were lucky to get. Bassinet seat & she slept in there no worries. She didn't really watch tv, but we took the laptop with play school DVDs. I think you said your bub will be 7 months (from memory)? Shouldn't need too much in the way of entertainment really, some toys, maybe a rusk or other favourite chew foods/toys. If they're not crawling yet, they won't mind so much tht they have to stay fairly still for the trip!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

Sarah18  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I just went to Vanuatu for a family holiday. I was cautioned about the water too so used bottled water for everything. Tasted fine. Providing the bottles are not made up i think you are fine for the plane. The formula didnt need to be sealed when i went on there. FYI - take FOOD 1 x meat pie was $10!!!!

Make sure you have good insect repellent with you for yourself and bub, also sunscreen and after sun care but insect repellent is a must! And itchease!! I actually took a well stocked st johns first aid kit with me, everyone laughed at me but i was the last one laughing - it was almost empty when i got home!

I did not take too much for bub to play with as a new environment meant that the "old toys" were not as interesting, her stuffed turtle that she cant sleep without and some colouring in books, stickers, and a small bucket and spade so she could dig about in the sand. I also took a picnic rug with me that rolls up fairly flat and had a rubber back to where ever we went i could lay it down and she could sit and lie on it. That was very useful. I made sure i had a memory stick loaded with the wiggles and a couple of MUST have movies and they were fantastic when she started fussing on the plane i just plugged it into the portable dvd player and settled her right down. I also took all naturals soft lollies with me. I hate her having sweet things but i gave them to her to suck as we landed so her ears did not hurt. I think your bub might be a bit too young but a bottle will work just as well.

Keep an eye on smart traveller, they update often about areas that may need vaccinations. Unfortunately this is probably something you are going to have to leave until just before you go as things change soooo quickly.

Good Luck - I started packing 6 months before we went away! Talk about trying to be organised i was a maniac!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Sarah18  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Bpac - thank you so much. It's crazy how organized I need to be. Even taking enough Nappies is going to take up so much room. But you have provided heaps of useful information, so thank you!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah18 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-12-2012)