+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Something said to me on facebook WDYT

So I am having a discussion on facebook and this was said, so what do you think. Is she right or wrong. Should we really take kids from parents who have a mental illness?

i suspect as in my case, that many of the 'other' parents have mental disorders which are now way moreprevalient. In that instance, keeping the kids away from that person is necessary. Just because you are a bilogical parent, does not give you the right to inflict the damage of your mental disorder on your child. A lot of people leave the partner taking kids, to protect the kids. Mental ill health has no place in parenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a case by case sort of thing.

In my case, yes, we should've been removed from our mothers care, but she never protected us from her mental illness.

I know of parents who suffer from mental illnesses, if they protect their child from it, then all they need is a good support system.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 20-11-2012 at 10:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (20-11-2012)

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Well this person has no idea about mental health then do they

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (20-11-2012),jagamoe  (20-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (20-11-2012),monnie24  (20-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The question is too broad. When mental illness is effectively managed it would not be an issue. If children are at risk of harm perhaps intervention may be considered but this is regardless of why they are at risk of harm.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (20-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (20-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Mental illness such as depression, bipolar etc CAN be controlled with the right medication and a good doctor though. One of my siblings has bipolar and is an awesome parent. Sure they have bad days but the kids are shielded from that by other parent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Too broad. Managed depression/anxiety - what would be the point? That would be one heck of a lot of lives disrupted for the sake of a common mental health issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Your friend is a tosser.

People suffering from a mental illness are not automatically unsafe parents. I am not an unsafe parent. My child is very well looked after. She is fed, clothed, cared for no matter how strong of a grip my illnesses have had on me (I suffer anxiety and depression). I am sure that my mental illness somehow affects her, just as everything any parent does can have an effect on their children... but I'm not sure the effects are incredibly damaging to her.

There would be some people who have a mental illness that has such a strong grip on them that they cannot properly care for their children... but this is not every person suffering a mental illness.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (20-11-2012),Purple Lily  (20-11-2012),Rutabaga  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think mental illness is a broad statement, isnt PPD considered a mental illness? Could you imagine the mothers state if we ripped the kids from her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Your friend is a tosser.

People suffering from a mental illness are not automatically unsafe parents. I am not an unsafe parent. My child is very well looked after. She is fed, clothed, cared for no matter how strong of a grip my illnesses have had on me (I suffer anxiety and depression). I am sure that my mental illness somehow affects her, just as everything any parent does can have an effect on their children... but I'm not sure the effects are incredibly damaging to her.

There would be some people who have a mental illness that has such a strong grip on them that they cannot properly care for their children... but this is not every person suffering a mental illness.
    I would assume this would be the minority of people suffering from mental illness though. Oh this person isnt a friend lol just someone I got into a discussion with. I know that there are many people here that do suffer but are great parents and love their kids and care for them very well prob even better than some parents who dont have an illness.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, that person is talking is broad, sweeping generalisations. So a child of a person with a controlled mental illness would be better off being taken away from the family they know and love? I think not.

It is true that often mental illness is behind many of the behaviours and actions that can put a child at risk, but with some intervention where appropriate, and good management, a person with a mental illness can/does make a very good, loving parent.