+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you 'prepare' for a c-section

Knowing I'm having a c section I was wondering if I can prepare my body more? Will a better core help etc.. Its just all a bit different to a natural birth and I'm a little nervous thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

I have no experience in preparing for a c-section as mine was an emergency c-section. I had pretty good core and I found that didn't help. Again though they say elective is easier!

I had bub at 9.21am and they had me up walking to the shower around 11-12hrs later. The next morning they encouraged me to move as much as I could and I would do laps around the ward. Pack the big granny undies in a big size so it doesn't sit on your incision. The whole time though the dr kept saying to keep moving.

Good Luck!!

jezikas is offline Mum, House Wife, Student, Employee
    Thanks
    Reviews

I have an emergency Caesarian first and am preparing myself for my second presently. I too have heard the healing rates are different for emergency to planned. Hospitals usually hold a 1 day Caesarian birthing class which my SIL found really helpful and 10mins before my emergency Caesarian I asked my nurse what was really involved and she gave me a booklet on the procedure. Obviously I had no time to read it prior but i have used it post care and still using it now. So see if your hospital has one of these.
    I think the biggest shock for me which I hope to be prepared for this time is as previously mentioned the undies! The higher the waist the further away from your incision. Also really good for putting bandage/padding if you need it.
    Talk about your pain relief prior to as I wasn't given anything and it was assumed I was aware of what I was allowed and the truth is after a bad day panadol and ibuprofen just wasn't enough.
    Learn your restrictions eg. Driving, Hanging clothes, carrying the clothes basket, carrying a baby bath, grocery shopping, pushing a trolley, sweeping, mopping.... These things are highly not recommended within 6-8 weeks in order for your tummy and wound to heal. If you can come up with solutions for these prior it takes a lot of stress off. I left bath time to my husband where possible and used the kitchen sink as the kitchen bench was a good height. I put a pop up clothes line near my washing machine for bubs clothes as his washing couldn't wait for assistance. I did online grocery shopping an had it delivered and only went for the occasional urgent thing so there was no need for a trolley. My family were great and drove me for the first 6 weeks where I needed to go and when they asked what they could do to help at our house I always nominated for sweeping or vacuuming. This time I have already asked my relatives if for the first 4 weeks if they can spoil my 2 yr old son as I know he'll want me to pick him up etc. and i have begun organizing my house to suit a weight limited/ healing lifestyle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take arnica before and after.

I had a much weaker core with my second and didn't notice the difference. You actively avoid using those muscles entirely for the recovery period.

I recommend getting a wax, you have to be hair free to a certain point anyway, but you have an adhesive dressing over it and if you've waxed it's much less painful for removal, also nicer when dealing with lochia.

I agree with PPs about the granny knickers, but make sure they are firm fitting.

I also organized my house to reduce lifting/using stairs, I had wipes, nappies, wraps, clothes stashed on each floor (3 floors) near where we spent the bulk of our time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Start taking Metamucil or something like that a week or so before your c/s it helps getting the bowels working. The first bowel motion after c/s because you cant push, can be difficult but taking this before and after helps.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (20-11-2012),LilPrincess27  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Start taking Metamucil or something like that a week or so before your c/s it helps getting the bowels working. The first bowel motion after c/s because you cant push, can be difficult but taking this before and after helps.
    That's really good advice considering I have IBS! Ahh, usually milk does the trick though hahaha!

Thanks Blissed- those are great tips I'm a bit OCD as it is, so when it comes to the washing etc i will just get DP to dp to do it and I already own granny undies... REOW