+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Glandular fever questions.

My 7yo DS has just been diagnosed with it. He's having tonsillitis, puffy eyes, tummy pins, lethargy, no appetite, fever. He has seen the GP and a blood tet done to confirm it. He is taking nurofen and penicillin.

i have 5 week old bub and am concerned if DS1 may spread his viral bug to him. We are trying to keep them apart but living under the same roof and we can't send any of them to anywhere as we don't have relatives.

Does anyone has any experience of older children having glandular fever and around young babies. How did it go?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have any experience with babies. But I had glandular fever when I was 16. I was away from school for a whole term. My parents never caught it from me (but they probably had immunity built up). It's pretty contagious from saliva, so sharing cups, utensils, sneezing etc. I caught it from kissing someone. So no physical touching between the two kids obviously. Best u ask ur gp really...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had it, but my sister came down with it a few years ago when DH and I were living with my mum briefly. None of us caught it but were very careful about sharing implements.
    My sister came down with minor bouts of it repeatedly for a couple of years... hope your DS gets better soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Glandular fever questions.

Your poor DS, glandular fever is awful.

I had it as a teenager and in the last 5 years I have had relapses of it 3 times, one of them is current. I have 2 children aged 4 and 2 and neither of them have shown symptoms. unfortunately it can remain contagious for longer than a year so sending one of your children elsewhere wouldn't work even if you could.

Approx 50% of people who have the Epstein Barr virus are asymptomatic so even if your baby does become infected you may not know.

I really feel for your son. I am 10 weeks pregnant and am struggling with the fatigue from the pregnancy mixed with glandular fever. Not fun at all.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I had glandular fever when I was younger and no one in my family caught it off me.

My brother continue to get glandular & chronic fatigue with the tonsillitis like your DS so they removed his tonsils and he was never sick again. They have found a link between glandular and tonsillitis so I would be looking into a tonsillectomy if this becomes a continual occurrence. Your poor DS hope he is feeling better soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When I had glandular fever as a teenager penicillin was given almost as a diagnostic tool. Penicillin often gives people with glandular fever a nasty extremely itchy rash covering their body! Often prescribed to help the throat but end up causing much more problem for the patient.
    Everyone else has said the rest of the stuff about contagiousness etc.
    Hope ur DS feels better soon!! It really packs a punch!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipsicle For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

its really puzzling how he got this as he's a really strong healthy boy who hardly falls sick, and what a time, when my bubs just 5 weeks old. I am not sure if hygiene is an issue as he's pretty naughty nowadays and like to put things on the floor onto his mouth (yes seems like he's reverting back to a baby...) such his toys and he likes sucking his pens and pencils. We have told him to top this bad habit but he's stubborn.

yeah we now are careful about sharing stuff such as cutlery etc. it's awful o hear that it may take a long hike to recover and it may recur again. He's been always very hyper and can't imagine this sickness making him so different, so lethargic..

we did see him humming songs yesterday and today thinking he's to better but then there were teary sobby moments when his tummy's in pain (the spleen being swollen) and he's feeling miserable.

about the tonsillitis, it could be caused by the virus or secondary bacterial infection. However the expensive penicillin he's taking doesn't seem to help so the GP may say to stop it when we see him tonight.

i am not sure if I got glandular fever before but am quite inclined to think i had as I remember having really serious fever when I was a teenager (no kissing no apparent reason) and as an adult I had bouts of tonsillitis before, but never again in the past two decades.

would want to ask the GP tonight if a mum with antibodies against this virus can passed them to baby, and wonder if my DS1 can drink breast milk to quicken the recovery...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I had glandular fever when I was 7 and none of my family appeared to be sick. Still no idea how I caught it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I've had it multiple times also a different disease (very similar) for the life of me can't remember it! It caused me to get my tonsils removed after having about 20 infections!!

In saying yes be cautious with hygiene please don't go over the top because you need some germs too iykwim?! Exercises are very good too. I was extremely tired but did swimming. For a bub you could just move his legs etc. lay him on the ground and get him into the sun.

Best of luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Doh sorry I read that as 7month.. Lol