Govt Paid parental leave and returning to another country | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Govt Paid parental leave and returning to another country

I'm just trying to plan ahead - i'm only early on in my pregnancy however know I will be returning home to NZ have family support after a month or so of giving birth, unsure for how long but could be up to 6mths.

Has anyone done this or do they know if its possible and still get paid the full 18 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi chances, I work with the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to questions about Centrelink payments and services on social
    media sites like this. If you are receiving or plan to claim Centrelink payments, including Parental Leave Pay, and you plan on travelling outside of Australia, it's important that you let Centrelink know, as this could affect your entitlement to a payment.
    To be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, you will need to meet certain residency requirements. Information about residency requirements can be found here.

If you intend on leaving Australia, whilst receiving Parental Leave Pay, your payments may be affected. More information about this can be found here.
    When making your plans, keep in mind that Parental Leave Pay must be paid within 52 weeks of the birth of your child otherwise you may not be able to receive the full 18 weeks of payment.

For family assistance payments, to get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for that payment. You will also have to tell us about any changes in your circumstances while you're away.

I highly recommend calling the Families line on 136 150 a few months before you plan on travelling outside Australia so you can discuss how this will affect your Centrelink payments. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Govt Paid parental leave and returning to another country

Thanks!

Yeh I've been on that site and its all very vague and sounds like they do it case by case.

I guess I'm best to give them a call and see what my options are.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re Paid parental leave and returning to another country

Hi, I'm in the same situation, wanting to go home for a bit for support, will still be employed in Australia and just on Maternity leave to resume duty after 2 years Unpaid Mat leave, were you able to do this and how did it work?
    Or do i not need to say anything as will still be employed?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I didn't find out but the plans changed a bit, like you we plan to return after our wedding so will only go hm when baby is a few mths old and stay for around 5mths.

I think most my ppl will be paid before we leave so I doubt it will be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aimz1981. My name is Russell and I work for the Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries on social media sites like this one. If you’re going overseas, it’s important you let us know as it may affect your payments. It’s a good idea to check out our page, ‘Australians overseas’, for more information before you go, http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...lians-overseas. There is also a proposed budget measure that may affect your payments if you do go overseas. From 1 July 2014, access to a range of family assistance payments for people temporarily absent from Australia will be made only to people absent for one year or less, instead of three years. Please keep in mind that this is only a proposed measure and will not come into effect until the 2013/14 budget passes through legislation. For more information on proposed budget measures that may affect family payments, go to http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corp...ures/families/. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Russell,

If I'm receiving the 18wk PPL and go overseas from week 8 would there be implications on my payments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi chances. The amount of time you can receive payments while overseas depends on your payment type and individual circumstances. To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for that payment. You will also have to tell us about any changes in your circumstances while you are away. If you leave Australia permanently or your child/ren leave your care, you cannot get Parental Leave Pay.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you might be able to get the remaining instalments of your Parental Leave Pay. There are other circumstances which may also affect your payments while outside Australia. For a general guide on payments while outside Australia, go to http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...side-australia. Remember it is a general guide only and you will still need to contact Centrelink to let us know you are heading overseas, and we can then let you know how your payments might be affected.http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/contact-us/.

It’s also a good idea to check out our page on heading overseas. There you can find handy information such as information about our payments while overseas, health care agreements and social security agreements with other countries. You can find this at http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...lians-overseas. I hope this was helpful : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Russell,

It seems I should be ok perhaps as my employer will be making the 18wk PPL payments not human services.
    Well I hope so but will check in once we are closer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Did any of you ever get a straight answer about this? ie how long you can be absent from australia for and still get PPL?