+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Older baby with persistent wind. Help?

Hi.

My little man is nearly 10 months. He's very happy and attached. However, he gets terrible wind.

During the day, he's quite happy to go about his business letting off farts left, right and centre. At night though, or during sleep in general, it causes him a lot of distress.

I'm so sad seeing him tormented by this every night. A 3 hour stretch of sleep is up there with his longest these days.

He has milk soy protein intolerance.
    He is still breastfed. I haven't eaten foods that he can't manage in about 7 months (except when doing dietary challenges). His reflux has gone away--I'm confident that this is mo longer an issue for him. I think his wind has been worse on the whole since starting solids, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern based on particular foods. He has a very diverse and well-balanced diet, i.e. he doesn't get too much of any one thing, I don't over-do it with 'gas culprits' such as root veggies, etc.

Has anyone else's baby had persistent and unexplained wind that bothered them to as old as 10 months? Did anything help your baby? Did you find the 'missing piece' of the puzzle?

I don't want to see him have to put up with this anymore! There must be something I can do?!

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been here and come out the other side...or if you know someone who has.

Please don't respond unless you actually understand. I don't mean to sound rude, it's just that it's not helpful when people give an over-simplified answer to a complex problem. I'm sure we've all experienced that!

Anyway, hopefully someone can relate to what I'm putting down here.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I hope this isn't "oversimplified", just trying to help. What makes you think it's wind pain? How can you be sure? Sounds odd that it would only bother him at night time if it was truly organic. Could it be behavioural waking?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Emy.

No, that's fine, it's a very reasonable question.

Some if his waking is absolutely behavioural and separation related.

I know that much of his waking is because of wind though, because he writhes around, doing his 'pain' cry (which is different from his "you left me in here alone" cry, lol) and eventually with enough wriggling he will get his farts out, sometimes as many as 10, oftentimes very loud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD went through this at roughly the same age. She had cows milk & soy protein intolerances too but we successfully challenged it not long after her first birthday.

I found infacol infant wind drops did help a little although it wasn't a miracle cure. I would also pump her legs when she was on the change table getting ready for bed and this would usually get some gas out. Also offer plenty of water through the day, this helped too.

Otherwise it did pass after a few weeks so you might just have to ride it out unfortunately. If it goes on for too long or he seems to be in excessive pain I'd go to the GP and see if there could be a medical issue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump bump