+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default C-section when you have other young children to look after

I an elective c-section when my DS was 21 months. My husband was lucky enough to have 3 weeks off during that time (although I spent 5 days of that in hospital) and while he was off I got him to do most of the lifting of DS at that time.

Once DH was back at work I made things easier by changing DS nappy on the floor and having DS in a bed was easier as he could climb into bed and go to sleep or he would nap in his little fold out lounge which we picked up at Kmart for about $5 or $10. I also found helpful was showing DS how to safely climb in and out of his car seat as I found that I was still a little bit tender after the 6 weeks, and DS was 11 and bit kilos.

But it is also about knowing your limits, having common sense and not pushing yourself.

I hope this helps. If I think of anything else I will come back and post.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimnus For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Thanks Bulbasaur & Kimnus.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 20 month gap between my boys. When I knew I would need to have another cs with my second, I started to adjust the way I interacted with DS1. If he was just after some attention, instead of immediately picking him up, I would get him to climb onto the couch with me, or I would get down onto the floor with him. I made sure he could climb in and out of his car seat on his own. I put him into a toddler bed so I wouldn't need to lift him in and out of a cot.
    I had df home for a few weeks but it was still good to make these changes early, so when ds2 came along ds1 didn't get too much of a shock at the change in my behaviour.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

shymummy  (17-02-2013),summastarlet  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Having my 3rd c section tomorrow with a 16 month old and a 29 month old at home. Post both c sections I have had no support at home (my husband will have 2 days of leave left once I am home) last time was the same. I guess I just did what I had to do and will do the same this time. The only time I lift the girls is into their cots/car seats and I'm not planning on going out alone with 3 under 3 for a while so I will just have to do the cot lift up once a day for their sleep

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (20-11-2012)