+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default C-section when you have other young children to look after

I had a c section with DS due to placenta praevia. I'm now debating whether or not to go the elective c-section route for baby number 2, but I'm concerned about recovery when I will have a 16 month old to run around after. DH had 6 weeks off after DS was born to help out but not sure if he will get as long home this time round so I may not have as much help.

How did you cope with recovering at home when you had other children to care for? Especially keen to hear from those with younger children. Could you pick them up? Did you find you just had to get in and do things even if you were in pain?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subbing as I'm interested in others responses and wondering about exactly the same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews

When I had my 3rd c-section I had a 13month old and a 4.5year old.
    Honestly it depends how you heal. I've always had fast and good recoveries. My DH was hardly home at all, less than a week and I had my Mil here for about 3 weeks, however she doesn't drive so I was back driving on day 6... Not far but just to essential places :-)
    Good luck, it's not easy but you make do. Be prepared with some meals frozen etc, or perhaps be ready to have groceries delivered or maybe hire a cleaner for a few hours a week for a few weeks if you feel it will be too much on you. :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I'm interested to hear what others have to say as I had an unscheduled c/s with dd (now 25 months) and am having bubba #2 next week by elective c/s.

I debated long and hard whether try vbac or elec c/s and decided this route for a number of reasons - I'm hoping to have better control of how the birth and afterwards go, and hope that this will help with my healing in the long run.

I have to say from a practical point of view, it is a positive having a c/s - ive been able to organise everyone to look after dd, dh has been able to book in his leave, we can talk to dd about the bubba arriving next week rather than sometime in the next few weeks etc etc

... But the practical side benefits wouldn't have been reason enough for me to make this decision.

I have to say that I didn't find the aftermath of the c/s too bad last time, and have been told that recovery should be even better this time as I won't be exhausted from labouring first.

But none of that answers how it will be with a 2 year old running around! - if I have anything useful to share once its happened ill come back and let you know!

Good luck with your decision. And sorry if this ramble makes no sense ... I claim baby brain!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bub4rosie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

As for lifting etc my 13 month old was/is a big girl, around 13kgs at that time. The nurses first were like 'you can't be lifting her etc' but then I said well I'll be trying not to but honestly I know I will so they said well be conscience of bending properly and keep her close to your body.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Pooks-thanks for sharing! Great to hear other people's experiences. I think my recovery last time wasn't as quick as I ended up with a PPH and required several blood transfusions. I wasn't allowed out of bed until 2 days after DS was born either so I think this definitely hindered recovery in the earlier days. Hoping if I go down this route this time round it will be a lot easier!

Rosie-the practical aspects of organising a c section are great. Was lovely last time that we knew when to schedule hubby's time off work and that I didn't have to worry about him being away (he works away from home) if I went into labour. Like you though, I don't think I can choose a c-section just for these reasons. I still have plenty of time to decide though.
    Best of luck with your impending little ones arrival and please come back and share any thoughts you have afterwards!!!

Anyone else want to share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will have an 11 month old when I have my next csection so no experience yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had an emergency C/S with my DS when my DD was 19 months old, to be honest it is a bit tricky running around after a toddler after major surgery but I recovered quite well and got through it ok.
    Yes you are told not to carry/pick up anything heavier than your newborn but this isn't always possible with a toddler, there are times where I did have to pick her up and she was a chunky little thing too also because DD was so young she didn't always remember to be gentle with mum and would randomly jump on me which wasn't fun!!
    It's difficult but get family members or friends to help as much as they can, particularly with your toddler to allow you to rest and concentrate on the newborn.
    Good luck with your decision

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Bumping for the day crowd

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews

I had one when DS was 14months. It's just about getting help and taking it easy and don't worry lol I'm about to have another and I'm a little worried but I know that If I take it easy it will be ok

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (20-11-2012)