+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips on managing sunburn

Yes I know how to be sun safe. Yes I know getting badly sunburnt is stupid. Yes I have pale skin and should know better. Now that we have got that out of the way......
    Does anyone have any good tips for helping with sunburn? I have asked hubby to get me some after sun stuff. We went to look at 'a couple of cars' today. Which turn into 'just a few more minutes' for 4 hours. So now I am sunburnt on my arms,and around my neck sides and neck back where my shirt didn't cover. A little on my face (mainly nose) but my face isn't really too bad. The back of my neck and very top of my back is so sore though. I haven't been sunburnt in years and forgot how badly it hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel
    its in bottle and green

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Diddleee View Post
    Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel
    its in bottle and green
    Put it in the fridge to make it even more soothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Keep the sunburnt areas cool with cool showers or damp cloths resting on the area. To further sooth the area, soak in a bath (tepid) with some chamomile tea bags, or make up a misting spray with the chamomile tea-bags (or soak your clothes in a cooled chamomile tea).

Use Aloe-Vera gels will work well... but after the initial burn period disappears and you're just waiting to peel or whatever, use Vitamin C and Vitamin E moisturises. Moisturises at least twice daily to make sure your skin doesn't dry out and to avoid peeling, but the vitamin C brightens the skin and should help prevent pigmentation and Vitamin E is an antioxidant which is said to help assist with skin repair.

Otherwise, be very strict about keeping the burns covered for a while yet, and make sure to keep SPF in your handbag in case you get in a situation like that again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tips on managing sunburn

Anything aloe! My DP used to have aloe in his backyard, and being a surf life saver, I was continually getting burnt, so I would grab a stem and put fresh aloe on the burns. It is the juice you want. To help with the soothing, place the stalk in the fridge before crushing it to get the juice out.

Btw, sometimes you can still get burnt with sun cream. That was my biggest problem! I get burnt worse after applying it, as opposed to when I forgot! Lol.

I also agree with pp about moisturising after the burn has gone down and you are at the peeling stage

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks all. Hubby has got me some Aloe stuff. I remember my mum had a plant when I was a kid and it was the best for sunburn and cuts and scrapes. Hmm maybe I should invest in an aloe Vera plant.
    will try the spray bottle as the hear just keeps creeping back in. It's not bad enough to blister or scar, will most likely peel though. my skin feels tight and uncomfortable (as well as burny).
    keep sunscreen in DD backpack but we didn't have it in the car today .

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    Anything aloe! My DP used to have aloe in his backyard, and being a surf life saver, I was continually getting burnt, so I would grab a stem and put fresh aloe on the burns. It is the juice you want. To help with the soothing, place the stalk in the fridge before crushing it to get the juice out.

Btw, sometimes you can still get burnt with sun cream. That was my biggest problem! I get burnt worse after applying it, as opposed to when I forgot! Lol.

I also agree with pp about moisturising after the burn has gone down and you are at the peeling stage

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Yeah I use baby sunscreen as I can still burn with sunscreen .

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm tempted to go have a cool bath but am honestly afraid I would fall asleep in there after trekking around all day whilst pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Red ddcx
    Ff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Le tan aloe vera in a can. It is amazing! Goes on ice cold so immediate relief.

I also slather on a aloe moisturiser that as vit. E added (I read that it helps healing) I leave it in the fridge and put it on as often as possible. I try not to touch my skin to much while putting it on, as the heat from other body parts/other people can be a killer, so I normally 'slap' it on and let it air dry.