+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dose anyone else think this is crazy?

What I don't understand is on property how can some people have man made lake and not have it fenced, ok if you live out in the sticks and your closest neighbor is 30kms away..
    But what about suburbs where houses on property can be quite close together?

This is how my husbands niece died.
    She was only 3 and she was helping her dad wash the car, he noticed she was gone and after hours of the parents searching they found she had drowned in the neighbors man made lake.
    I won't go into detail on how the houses were set up but it would have taken her about 3-5 minutes to reach the lake.
    Her mother was a swimming instructor and the little girl did know how to swim, it was just a horrible thing to happen.

So why don't they need to be fenced?
    I understand they are for live stock to drink from but why should 30cm depth be fenced but a huge body of water be left open..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's nuts. I get that kids drown, but honestly, I'm not a moron. Any small wading pool that's filled up is going to be supervised, and my kid is 7... she's not 2. Unless something extreme happens, she's not going to drown in a small wading pool... and if that something extreme happened, it's gonig to happen with my supervision anyway. No neighbour's kids can get in either as we have 6ft colourbond fences.

People that aren't going to supervise their kids, aren't going to care about these ridiculous rules anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I must admit I was at my sisters and I didn't really think about her wading pool, which isn't normally set up. I let my 1yo play on the deck while I was cleaning up the kitchen, peeping out on her every few minutes. It was only when I heard them talking about it on the news I realised her pool was set up and I was set up and I hadn't been supervising as closely as I should have been. Bad mummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yeah, but laws aren't made for the highest common denominator. They're made - generally - for the lowest.

It's a sad fact that people don't supervise their kids. Even sadder that drowning can happen in barely a moment - even with parents right there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Are they going to make us fence the bath tubs next?

Thanks
    Reviews

This has been law for at least a year now. But funny enough you don't need to fence a dam in private property...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Dose anyone else think this is crazy?

We have a pool that we set up in summer. It's not a blow up one, it has a frame and liner and is big enough to have a pump. It also has a hard cover that clips securely over the top when we are not using it. It's really difficult to get off. So would this set up need fencing?

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

5cm or 30cm of water doesn't matter it's still water a child could still drown. It might seem a little silly now but it could save a life. If you have a blow up pool you only really have it up in summer anyway and that's when you really use it. I would rather have a pool fence up then risk my children's lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I actually think its a good idea, there are a lot of homes in the area we sell in that have those small above ground pools ( about the size of a spa with a filter) and these never had to have fences and i know of 3 families who have had very close calls with their kids so I think even though the law states in nsw all pools including blow up ones need to be fenced its more these little above ground pools they are targeting , there are many sad stories of kids drowning while being supervised/accidents etc , All out tenants now with those little pools have to have written permission and a council inspection certificate to cover any accidents on their and the landlords insurance ( same with fish ponds)

I honestly don't see the difference between being worried about a toddler falling into an in-ground pool and falling into a large blow up one

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (19-11-2012),smallpotatoes  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I actually read a tragic story a few months ago about an 18 month old who drowned in the dogs drinking buckets after reading it I got one of those things that are a shallow dish that is refilled from a sealed container as it empties

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (19-11-2012)