And then there's always this -

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/book/So%...20Children.htm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    LMAO loved it!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LilPrincess27 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (20-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preparing mentally for a baby

Awesome, thanks heaps for the advice!

I also ordered 3 books last night; Tizzy Hall, Pinky McKay and Gina Ford. From the brief descriptions I read, they all seem to believe in completely contradictory practices however at least I'll be informed on all my choices!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wasnt mentally prepared at all until roughly 2 hours after DS was born. I had him at 11:55pm so once FOB and my mother had left the hospital around 2am, it was just me and DS.....laying there in silence. Thats exactly when my "whoa, Im a mum now" moment hit me.

I dont think there is anything you can do to prepare you for that moment when you realise that they will be a part of you forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preparing mentally for a baby

Books by dr sears are great too!

And being a mum doesn't stop you from being who you are, or the partner, daughter, friend etc you were. It just adds a facet to your character

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

jmiller  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd also really recommend dr sears books. I personally found reading books really helpful for preparing me for the reality of having a child and thinking about what I valued and how I wanted to parent from the outset. I love reading and researching and literally read hundreds of parenting books and relevant journal articles). If you have access to a library and like reading I'd recommend reading widely so that you can critically evaluate anything you do read. The only thing I'd say about the three authors you've ordered books from, is that none of them have any qualifications, apart from pinky's qualifications as a lactation consultant and lots of advice in those books is contrary to what is recommended by actual experts in infant development. There's no way i know of to prepare for the raw emotional overwhelm of new parenting, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, my advice might be completely different to everyone else, but I would say don't read books. Don't expect a baby to be like anything a book will tell you. Not one baby is the same!

I had a colicky refluxy baby who fed non stop and spewed constantly, but I was still happy, greatful, in love and never stressed. My 2nd baby didn't have the reflux issues, but was another non sleeper who fed hourly day and night.. again, I loved every second of it. I had no expectations of what my babies would be like, and I was happy to be with them 24/7 around the clock, feeding day and night. To me, that was ok, because I didn't expect anything different.

Good luck! To me there is nothing better than being a new mum, hence why I'm going back for my 3rd baby within 3.5 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found the books that really helped me were the ones that talked about why babies do what they do rather than the how to get babies to do what you want them to do. The reality is that as a new mother you are surrounded by so much conflicting advice that it's easy to second guess yourself if you're not informed and confident in your choices.