+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: When people give you stuff thats really old.

*disclaimer* I've kept like one because that's a little cool. But not to use. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When people give you stuff thats really old.

Just politely decline saying you have all you need but thanks for the offer.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (19-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MIL was always trying to give me crap. She wanted us to have a porta cot that looked so old and Im pretty sure wouldnt even meet safety standards. I wanted a proper cot and had to get DH to tell her no because she wouldnt listen to me. Her friend also gave us a present for DS the other day which was a bib that looked very 80s and it had a franklins price tag that said 37 cents. I dont even think franklins exists anymore............

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    *disclaimer* I've kept like one because that's a little cool. But not to use. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I grabbed a rag from the bin the other day, whilst folding it after washing it dawned on me it was a nappy. Most likely upholds 40 years or more old.

I don't plan using it but surprised to see one as most mum had for me were left over from what she used for my siblings and most of those had gone through 4 children too.

I also have a very beautiful but large and impractical pram that is around 35 years old. I would love to use it but might just have it ready for special events..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL is a huge hoarder and had boxes of stuff for me to go through from when her kids were little. Some of it I borrowed but other stuff I rejected because it just didn't look anything like current fashions. It had all been stored really well and I even borrowed the 55 year old cloth nappies. It all boils down to whether you're happy to use it and if you aren't just say no politely.

Oh, and make sure you check the manufacturing date on car seats. Had a friend loan me hers and it was over 10 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Oh and MIL keeps insisting on giving us this crappy 45 year old bassinet and cot!! YEAH RIGHT!!! she keeps telling me not to worry about the aus standard, which keeps peeving me off. You can talk til you're blue in the face and her thick head just doesn't get it. She has a head as thick as a tree.
    Ohh me too, my MIL wanted to give us DH's old bassinet! I just said to DH no way, as it more than likely wouldn't meet safety standards and who knows if it would have mould or something on it. I left it up to him to tell her no thanks.

SIL used it for her DS though, so at least I don't have to feel bad for MIL because it did get used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the Moses basket that my brother slept in as a baby, for my two children. He turned 40 this year. It was in perfect condition and I loved the fact that my mum had kept it and I could use it for Sian and Dane. I got some lovely comments from the midwives at St. Vincent's Private as we carried our new baby daughter and then son four years later, out in it. It makes me feel proud to have used it.

Thanks
    Reviews

My friend gave me a box full of stuff when I had DS and her DS was only 5 months old it was so obvious that she only gave me stuff that she had been given that she didn't want because it was so old and used. Ah thanks but no thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Oh and MIL keeps insisting on giving us this crappy 45 year old bassinet and cot!! YEAH RIGHT!!! she keeps telling me not to worry about the aus standard, which keeps peeving me off. You can talk til you're blue in the face and her thick head just doesn't get it. She has a head as thick as a tree.
    Omg me too!

I offended the IL's because I wouldn't accept their 40 year old bassinet (that was bought for $5 at a flea market ). I don't think so!!

They've also kept baby clothes that DF's brother was going to give to Salvo's a couple years ago (they have a serious hoarding problem), and tried to give them to me along with a lecture about how I shouldn't spend money buying new clothes or a bassinet when they have ones we can have etc. If the clothes were decent I may have considered it, but they were cheap, poor quality and not even worth keeping.

IL's drive me nuts! I'm a grown woman and don't need to be told how or what to spend my money on thanks! (ahem, no issues over here)

I just say, "thanks, but no thanks!" over and over again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When people give you stuff thats really old.

Baby clothes havent really changed much over the years especially jumpsuits. My youngest sister was 8 when dd was born and my mum had passed her clothes onto my cousin who then passed them onto me.
    When people give me clothes I just take what i want and send the rest to salvos. A few spare outfits here and there are always handy to have.
    My dd wore my hospital going home outfit when she left hospital so it was 25 years old (my 3 younger sisters had also used this!)