+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I know where I have birth they only allow two support people. I would have thought this standard as too many people would get in the way.

Then when you see it on tv there's 10 people in a tiny room....maybe in America?
    Yes I was the low-key shows like 16 & Pregnant, so mostly America or the UK.

Like PPs have said, in the moment I probably wouldn't care, but to have just my DH there (if possible) would be the best experience. The in-laws won't die waiting and DO NOT need to see me hot and bothered/bloody/in any stage of undress! If it wasn't possible to have my DH there I'd want my mum to hold my hand for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birth audience...

I had my mum and DH, mum was fab because DH sort of freaked out and didn't know what to do but mum was giving me back rubs and all sorts
    Also kept DH company because I didn't say a word in my 8 hours of labour.
    My hospitals policy was 2 people but they would allow a third if I really wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had the lovely girl I had worked with for 12 months there (we were together all day everyday so got close) and a high school friend I'd reconnected with about 12 months beforehand there, through circumstance, not planning at all. They saw everything and my high school bud cut the cord.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DD. I had my mum and sister.lucky I had them both because the gas hose had a split in it and my sister wasn't 100% with it as she was standing next to it. With DD2 I will have DP with me, and hopefully my mum waiting outside just in case I need her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My MIL was honoured that I asked her, and I was happy to have her there. She was a great help. (My XH was the only one of her sons that had children, and she didn't have any daughters.) It was not the sort of thing that my mother would've wanted to participate in so I didn't ask her. (As evidence, I'll point out that when I got my first period my mothers reaction was to hand me a packet of tampons and send me alone into her room to put them on.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I haven't given birth as I had a caesarean, but I have been in an incredible amount of pain (gallstone attack - I've heard it's worse than labour) and going by that, I don't think I would give a sh*t who was around in the thick of it.

There are people that annoy me in my life though, so I'd never let those people be around, just because I wouldn't want to end up wanting to knife them during the birth... lol. Or you know, thinking about how they're going to bang on about a certain aspect of it or tell all and sundry after the event (you know, gossipy inlaws who might go, "Oh my... and then she..." etc). I'd rather just make it as stress-free as possible so I'll avoid people I know are likely to bother me.

I'm happy with my partner, mother, daughter and midwife attending. If I had a close friend who I think would be a good person to have around, I'd have her too. You know, someone who is going to react well, not be like, "Omg ew... blood..." or something stupid. People that will be helpful and useful and mature.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about all and sundry seeing my vagina push out a baby though. I think that pain would just make me not care, going by previous cases of intense pain (also when I woke from my stomach surgery... worst pain of my life... I couldn't have cared if they had rolled me out in the reception and ripped off my clothes... I was too preoccupied with pain to care.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Birth audience...

I didnt have anyone in the room as was going to be a emergency c section and DP was light headed from the rush. didnt turn out to be a c section.
    I wouldnt mind them all being in the room but no looking down there. I think its so cute to see peoples reaction on tv but there faces when they look down there are priceless lol. I think witnessing the birth everyone is immedaitly attached to the baby instead of just seeing them for the first time after the birth and a cuddle

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I had DF and my mum which was great but to be honest you have no bloody idea who is in there towards the end and you don't care! You can't focus on anything else other than getting that baby out of you!!!!!! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    I say the less the better and aiming for DH, my well trusted OB and 1 mid this time.

Last time I had about 12 or so people watching me give birth (only 1 of them I had known for more than 2 hours and that was DH) and let me tell you I really DID care. It was a horrible and humiliating experience and I am still incredibly angry about it especially after finding out that many of them were just spectators because they hadn't seen a natural premature birth before (mainly students). I felt like a circus freak. This time any extras will be promptly kicked out.
    That's just wrong. You should have been asked for your permission, especially if they were students and didn't have to be there. I had to have a paediatrician and some other medical person on stand by in the room to take baby as soon as she was born- they HAD to be there and I still had to give permission for then to be in the room.

In sorry you have such a bad experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd1- mum, hubby & MIL & 2 MW
    dd2- mum and hubby & 1 MW
    ds1- mum, MIL, hubby, dd1 & dd2 & 1 mw
    ds2 & 3- the first twin was hubby & my independent MW, second twin was hubby, IM, 2 hosp MW, a student MW, Ob, dd1, dd2, ds, mum, and 2 close friends.

I liked having all those people there but specifically said I wouldn't have all the extras that are usually there for twins as I didn't want a whole lot of strangers there.