View Poll Results: How many times a week do you eat a different dinner to your kids?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

15 36.59%

12 29.27%

1 2.44%

3 7.32%

3 7.32%

1 2.44%

1 2.44%

5 12.20%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is only 9 months old so eats much earlier than we do but she'll have a chunky, finger food type version of what we're eating most of the time. We like spicy food so I'll often make her a milder version of our dinner.

Also if she decides not to go to sleep when I'd like her to (most nights) she'll come out & play while DP & I have dinner. Pretty much every night she has "second dinner" at that time.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum used to be an absolute bish about me eating some things. She thought that I just woudn't eat them because I was being stubborn. Turned out I was actually intolerant to egg. The very smell of it would make me want to vomit.

She realised that I didn't like egg by itself because I flat out wouldn't eat it no matter what, but didn't put two and two together and realise that a lot of the home cooked things she would make had egg in them.
    They'd make me feel a bit yucky and grumpy for a few hours after eating it. Nothing enough to make her realise that it was an intolerance to egg because I'd still eat cake and biscuits etc. (what kid wouldn't if they didn't realise that what they were eating was causing them troubles?) and thought I was just being a fussy eater.
    So every time we had anything that required egg to bind it I'd turn my nose up just because I knew there was egg in it. But because I didn't know that it was the egg causing me issues as I was only a kid, I'd always find something else to pick on. "I don't like bacon" "I don't like onion" "I don't like tomato". Basically whatever I could that might convince her that I didn't have to eat it.

So I'm pretty analytic when DS won't eat foods and I don't force him to eat things that I suspect might actually be causing him problems. It's a slow process and there probably are things that he won't eat simply because he doesn't want to try them.
    But after my experiences as a kid I try not to be forceful about it because I know that it can be hard to make sense of intolerances etc. even as an adult, let alone as a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not very often. Maybe once a week if at all. It's mostly when we want to eat something we know the kids won't eat. Like steak or lamb chops. Usually we will just give them a different meat instead of a whole different meal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Only when I'm at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rarely do we eat different food than our kids. We all usually eat together at 6pm with the odd exception which would be perhaps once a fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every night as ds won't eat anything but plain rice or pasta with a side of salad. Very annoying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We only eat together at weekends as DH doesn't get home early enough and my kids don't like what we like (I don't eat meat and I like them to). I always sit down with them but no we don't all eat the same food. doesn't bother them or me. as they get older I'm sure we'll eat more as a family but it doesn't work for them to wait to eat til later (they eat by 5.15).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I said twice a week which is an average.

if its sports training night, or dh is on a healthy kick, the kids will eat earlier and we will have something later....or if its a takeaway run for Mum and Dad lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very rarely I refuse to cook separate meals. (Obviously that will be different when bub is on solids). I try to cook meals everybody will eat.